Any tips on equipments to adjust to my lack of mobility? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any tips on equipments to adjust to my lack of mobility?

HappyHelen
HappyHelen Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, thank you for adding me. I’m Helen, I have 3 boys/ young men. My oldest has now moved away with his girlfriend, his one struggle had been his dyslexia, which he has now mastered. My Middle son is severely Autistic, severe Learnig Difficulties,  sensory Processing, Disorder, non verbal,PICA, Epilepsy, escape artist, smearer... He is now in Residential care but comes home every week for Dinner...
my Youngest son has Speech & Language Disorder, oral dyspraxia, Dyslexia, MLD, severe nut allergy and hyper mobile.
I have Fibromyalgia, ME, Depression, Brittle Asthma... 
Hope I haven’t bored you all. I volunteer as a parent mentor at Maze in Colchester. I’m trying to adjust to my lack of mobility, and ever decreasing energy levels. I Knit scarfs & blankets, colour, and watch and fall asleep to TV programmes. ? Any tips on equipment for making life easier, are very welcome. 
Thank you. ?

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @HappyHelen welcome to the community! Do you currently use any mobility aids?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Trudylynne
    Trudylynne Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I went to my local disability shop and asked them for advice, they gave me the number of the council occupational therapist who came to my home and assessed my needs. They fitted an extra rail on my stairs, put a half step and railings on my front and back step and supplied a leaning stool and shower stool all free of charge. I was sceptical at first as to the need of them, but, they have really made a difference and I am so glad I listened to her advice. She talked to me about pacing myself when doing anything which has been great for pain control too. I have also bought large handled utensils and saucepans which have really made a difference . 

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @HappyHelen, it's great to have you here. It certainly sounds as though you have your hands full! 

Are there any particular tasks that you find difficult that you're looking for help with? Do let us know and we'll do our best to advise!
  • Nathalie
    Nathalie Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi Helen,

You could have a look at the demko bed, it really helps my nights and sleep. At last I can sleep and relax at nights since I am using one.

Good luck!
    Nathalie

Brightness