Will I be judged for walking into my tribunal? - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will I be judged for walking into my tribunal?

13»

Comments

• Cazann
    Cazann Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Yadnad said:
    Cazann said:
    @Waylay and @Colino. I am pleased that you have got a good result from your tribunal's and have got it over with!  It is more than a year since I applied for PIP, after being on DLA for 13 years. Like many, I was turned down and then got only 4 points at MR. I am going with my daughter. She bought me a wheel chair last summer, so we could go on a weekend away, as I haven't been on holiday for over 10 years. I have difficulty walking more than a few yards, so I will be using the wheel chair to go to the tribunal, as I don't know how far I will have to walk, when I get there. But I think that I will walk into the tribunal room. as I want to prove that my walking isn't good. Thanks for your advice.
    I will post on here after my tribunal next week xx
    Using a wheelchair that you have bought presumably without having a wheelchair assessment could raise problems. 
    It is a well known fact that some claimants buy them off Ebay purely to show the Tribunal/assessor that they need it. Questions could be asked if the wheelchair is actually needed if you haven't had that assessment.
    Hi Yadnad
    Why would I need an assassment to use a wheelchair. I understand that some people would use a wheelchair to pretent that they are worse than they really are but that's not me. My daughter bought it for me last summer, so I could go out on a weekend trip and for day's out. I know the venue (Law courts) is a massive building to walk through and I couldn't do it. My daughter has already wrote to the tribunal, telling them that I have the wheelchair, so why would it be a problem, or do you know something that we don't?. Appreciate the advice.
    Thanks.
  • Cazann
    Wishing you all the best for your tribunal, @Cazann!
    Thank you @Pippa_Scope
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Cazann said:
    Yadnad said:
    Cazann said:
    @Waylay and @Colino. I am pleased that you have got a good result from your tribunal's and have got it over with!  It is more than a year since I applied for PIP, after being on DLA for 13 years. Like many, I was turned down and then got only 4 points at MR. I am going with my daughter. She bought me a wheel chair last summer, so we could go on a weekend away, as I haven't been on holiday for over 10 years. I have difficulty walking more than a few yards, so I will be using the wheel chair to go to the tribunal, as I don't know how far I will have to walk, when I get there. But I think that I will walk into the tribunal room. as I want to prove that my walking isn't good. Thanks for your advice.
    I will post on here after my tribunal next week xx
    Using a wheelchair that you have bought presumably without having a wheelchair assessment could raise problems. 
    It is a well known fact that some claimants buy them off Ebay purely to show the Tribunal/assessor that they need it. Questions could be asked if the wheelchair is actually needed if you haven't had that assessment.
    Hi Yadnad
    Why would I need an assassment to use a wheelchair. I understand that some people would use a wheelchair to pretent that they are worse than they really are but that's not me. My daughter bought it for me last summer, so I could go out on a weekend trip and for day's out. I know the venue (Law courts) is a massive building to walk through and I couldn't do it. My daughter has already wrote to the tribunal, telling them that I have the wheelchair, so why would it be a problem, or do you know something that we don't?. Appreciate the advice.
    Thanks.
    Not having had a wheelchair assessment you would have to satisfy the Tribunal that it was purchased out of need and not out of choice.
    As you say, there are some that do buy them hoping to show to the Tribunal that they are far worse than they really are - you would be surprised of the antics that some people would get up to. I've even known claimants to buy two hearing aids off Ebay to show that they have difficulties with hearing.
  • Cazann
    Thank you for the advice. I don't know what you mean about an assessment for a wheelchair.I didn't know I had to be assessed to have one!  I had been on DLA indefinitely for 13 years but I, along with thousands of others had to apply for PIP. I was turned down, had a face to face assessment and MR= 4 points.
    I am about to go for my tribunal appeal, next week.
    I haven't had a holiday for over 10 years, had one day out last year and my daughter bought me a new wheelchair and booked a weekend away.
    Without the wheelchair I wouldn't have gone on that weekend and as for the day out, I would have been sat in the car, or on a bench looking at my grandchildren playing on the beach, without me.
    My tribunal is at the Law Courts and it's a very big building, with long corridor's.   Maybe they put these large venue's on for PIP appeals to try to catch people out but there is no way that I can walk it. My daughter will be pushing me into the building and upto the waiting room but I will walk to the tribunal room, if possible.
    I cannot see any other way.
    Thanks for your comments.

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    When I had my appeal I wrote to the Clerk and asked for my Hearing to be moved to an accessible venue.  Clerk wrote back to say that PIP Hearings were heard on the ground floor of venue already allocated.  Only a few yards' walking was required.  My letter was included in the bundle and this would have supported my case.  All PIP appeals venues should be accessible including not much walking required.  You can phone the Clerk to ask about accessibility and distances.
  • Cazann
    Matilda said:
    When I had my appeal I wrote to the Clerk and asked for my Hearing to be moved to an accessible venue.  Clerk wrote back to say that PIP Hearings were heard on the ground floor of venue already allocated.  Only a few yards' walking was required.  My letter was included in the bundle and this would have supported my case.  All PIP appeals venues should be accessible including not much walking required.  You can phone the Clerk to ask about accessibility and distances.
    Hi Matilda Thank you for your input. In the letter from the tribunal, it states that the tribunal will be at the Law Courts and the nearest car park is about half a mile away. My daughter is taking me and will have to drop me off and park up. As I said to Yadnad, the court is a large building with long corridors. When you have waited over a year for the tribunal date, I didn't want to haggle about the venue. We will have to get there with plenty of time to spare...and worry!

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    We must all decide for ourselves.  Mine was a simple request to the tribunal service, not a 'haggle'.  I was trying to be helpful and your reply is rude.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    I don't see any recent rude reply here. I see a thank you but nothing rude. It can very often be difficult to read text speak and sometimes a comment can come across as being rude, when in fact it's not.

As for "haggling" i do agree that it's not about this. A simple request is most likely all it will take.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cazann
    Matilda said:
    We must all decide for ourselves.  Mine was a simple request to the tribunal service, not a 'haggle'.  I was trying to be helpful and your reply is rude.
    Hi Matilda. I'm sorry if you thought that I was rude but it wasn't that at all.
    I only said that I didn't want to haggle about the venue because I had only just noticed where the car park was, in relation to the venue. I thought that it was too late to change things and thought that I would have had a problem on my hands getting it changed at such short notice.
    No way would I have been rude to you, or anyone who was kind enough to give advice. I do appreciate any advice...even Yadnads. :D
    Thank you all. xxx
  • Cazann
    I don't see any recent rude reply here. I see a thank you but nothing rude. It can very often be difficult to read text speak and sometimes a comment can come across as being rude, when in fact it's not.

As for "haggling" i do agree that it's not about this. A simple request is most likely all it will take.
    Thank you Poppy. xx
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
  • Cazann
    Waylay said:
    How did it go, @Cazann ?

Hi Waylay.
    I had my tribunal adjourned until they can get more evidence ie: Medical evidence, even though I sent in all that my doctor had sent me. Also they wanted my old DLA award papers from 2006. I didn't know that they would want those. I had to sign a letter so they could obtain them and now will have to wait for another tribunal date. I sent it back by recorded delivery
    I just hope that it's not a long wait.
    xx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.