New to using a wheelchair — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New to using a wheelchair

Options
Debgail
Debgail Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I have had to start using a wheelchair when I'm out and about, for instance when going in to town. As I can no longer walk far due to the Pain I've used a walking stick for years now. The chair is a one my husband pushes. I am finding this very hard to get cope with. I feel embarrassed, I feel like I'm given in to my disease, I have Ankylosing spondylitis and Osteoarthritis I can't get the thought out of my head that I've let people down cos I'm now using a chair and having to rely on my husband. I'm wondering how people cope with such a lifestyle change and can you offer me advice on how to cope or where to get help please. Thank you. 

Comments

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    Know how you feel.
    It takes a long time to get over the embarrassment.
    Take one day at a time youl get there
  • Cazann
    Cazann Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Options
    Debgail said:
    Hi I have had to start using a wheelchair when I'm out and about, for instance when going in to town. As I can no longer walk far due to the Pain I've used a walking stick for years now. The chair is a one my husband pushes. I am finding this very hard to get cope with. I feel embarrassed, I feel like I'm given in to my disease, I have Ankylosing spondylitis and Osteoarthritis I can't get the thought out of my head that I've let people down cos I'm now using a chair and having to rely on my husband. I'm wondering how people cope with such a lifestyle change and can you offer me advice on how to cope or where to get help please. Thank you. 

Hi Debgail. I too have the same problem using a wheelchair. I have problems walking. I have osteoarthritis and HNPP. I was on DLA for 13 years and then had to apply for PIP. I was turned down and I'm about to go to tribunal, on Wednesday.. I haven't had a holiday for over 20 years. I would rather stay at home than have all the hassle of getting about, when you can hardly walk. Last year my daughter bought me a wheelchair and booked a weekend away. I enjoyed the break but felt very conscious and felt that I shouldn't be in the chair, or that my daughter should  have to push me. I didn't want anyone to see me in it either!  But I realise that I will have to get used to it, or I will be house bound.
    I can understand exactly how you feel but as we both know we can't walk and so we will have to give into our disabilities. My husband has promised to buy me a mobility scooter in the summer, so that will make it easier on my family.
    Good luck and I hope that can soon come to terms with your disability.
    Take care.
    xx
  • Debgail
    Debgail Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Thanks this really helps xx

Brightness