Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
New to using a wheelchair
Hi I have had to start using a wheelchair when I'm out and about, for instance when going in to town. As I can no longer walk far due to the Pain I've used a walking stick for years now. The chair is a one my husband pushes. I am finding this very hard to get cope with. I feel embarrassed, I feel like I'm given in to my disease, I have Ankylosing spondylitis and Osteoarthritis I can't get the thought out of my head that I've let people down cos I'm now using a chair and having to rely on my husband. I'm wondering how people cope with such a lifestyle change and can you offer me advice on how to cope or where to get help please. Thank you.
- 52.9K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 148 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 756 Work and employment
- 575 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 276 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 263 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 674 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 927 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.