Permitted Work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Permitted Work

Lynette1066
Lynette1066 Community member Posts: 47 Connected
I need some information if permitted work will affect my housing and council tax benefit. I think it may. But by how much?
Due to see work coach in regards to permitted work, so need some help with calculations for council tax and housing benefit. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Permitted work when claiming ESA only doesn't affect any other benefits you claim. However, you mustn't work anymore than 15.59 hours per week and earn no more than £125.50 per week. You must also get permission from DWP before starting work and you need to fill out a PW1 form.

Do be aware that if the work you do contradicts the reasons for your ESA claim then it could go against you when you're next re-assessed and they could re-assess you early.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Permitted-Work-Rules

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lynette1066
    Poppy thanks for your help. I have permission from the jobcentre. I know an early medical is the risk. But I would rather try work if I can, as it my help with my recovery? Shocked if I can find permitted work. 
     But confused I am on legacy system. So will permitted work affect my rent and housing benefit? 
  • poppy123456
    Yes ESA is legacy benefits and not earning from permitted work don't affect any other benefits you may claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Lynette1066
    Thanks Poppy. Sort of expecting another medical review anyway, so catch 22. 
  • poppy123456
    You need to fill out a permitted work form and return it to DWP. It's the DWP (ESA) you need to get permission from not the job centre.
  • Lynette1066
    edited January 2019
    Work Coach stated today, if permitted work found, then fill in the form, hand it to her, and she would inform DWP/ ESA. I know that DWP has final say. But it is catch 22. How will I know for the future what I am capable of doing or not doing? 
    Poppy thanks, just going through the motions, and to the job match meeting. I am not expecting anything to come from it. But if I am offered I would say ok give it a go. Poppy thanks. 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. To be honest i'd fill the form in and return it to DWP myself, this way you know you've done it and you're covered. You can't start work without getting permission anyway.

When i said about a contradiction what i mean is for example. If you claim ESA because of mental health and you were placed into the WRAG through reg 29 (special circumstances) because you're a danger to yourself and others around you (just an example) and you work with members of the public then this could go against you when you're next re-assessed.
  • Lynette1066
    Ok thanks Poppy, this regulation has not been applied to me. Thanks for the advice. I will send it onto DWP if I get work myself but also give a copy to my work coach. Feeling though she might of been prepping me for UC transfer?
  • poppy123456
    I just stated that reg as an example of a contradiction. I have no idea what reasons you were placed into the group you're in but you do need to be careful when doing permitted work.

As for moving you onto UC then i'm not sure why you think she's doing that. Transitional support protection doesn't start until July this year and they will be choosing 10,000 people to start the process off. The rest will be moving across much later and it could possibly be a few years yet. They haven't made any announcements of who's going to be in that 10,000. I highly doubt this is what she's doing.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.