Going Out Descriptors - OCD — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Going Out Descriptors - OCD

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 22 Listener
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger

I don’t really know anything about your condition but it reads to my very much like you are trying to hedge your bets, as you intimate at the beginning, and it has become very confused. Also, you seem to repeat the phrases from the descriptor without giving any examples e.g,      “…I cannot undertake a journey, familiar or unfamiliar, without assistance, due to the overwhelming psychological distress I feel when I do so” which is fairly obviously a cut and paste from the descriptors.

For me the obvious things to clarify are :-

If you can go out on two days per week unassisted/with prompting what is different on those days to the other five days? 

When you say that you ‘cannot undertake a journey’ do you mean that you can’t go anywhere? Can you go to the local shop? (if there is one) 

If your condition causes you exhaustion and you can’t go out, does it also prevent you doing other things such as having a shower, or cooking a meal?

Just my two pennyworth..

Good luck…

• [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    zinty said:
    descriptor (e) cannot go out on any journey because it would cause overwhelming distress - does that apply ONLY to people who NEVER go out?
    Yes, that's correct.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Even leaving your home once per week means that you won't score points in descriptor E.

This link may help.

You'll also need to give 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2019
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    E definitely doesn't apply here because you can actually go out. The rest has nothing to do with only going out 1 day a week. Have you read the link i posted above? This will explain the activities and what they mean in greater detail.

• [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2019
    I'm sorry but you're reading it wrong. If you can undertake 1 journey, even if it's familiar then you won't score points in descriptor E.

This is why you need to get face to face advice because if you don't understand the descriptors and what they mean then that's not a good start.
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    If your talking about E  then it clearly states ‘Any journey’ means that in order to satisfy the descriptor on any particular day the person must not be able to manage to undertake a single journey. If the person can manage to leave the home to undertake a journey once then on that day the descriptor is not satisfied, even if they are unable to undertake other journeys during the same day.

This means that if you are able to go out once during the day, whether it's once a fortnight it doesn't matter. You will not score any points for the activity.
    (night time isn't included)

This is why is says, can not undertake any journey.

Does any other activity apply to you?
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    Yes psychological distress is part of this. It does say in that link i posted under F that this applies.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    Surely you are not supposed the use the descriptors and then try to fit what the impact is to them?

The sensible way as I see it is to tell it as it is, the good, bad and ugly giving good examples and then see if you would fit any of the descriptors.

At the end of the day the only person that will decide will be the DWP case manager who would be following what the assessor suggests.

• [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    Of course you need to look at the descriptors to see which ones apply and why. That's the whole purpose of applying and filling out the form correctly. I don't know why anyone would think any different.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes look at them but surely not use them to try and make your claim fit them?
    Isn't the correct way to look at your impact and then look to see if what it is would fit any descriptor.
    In fact the poster is copying the descriptor into their claim.

Doing it the way you are suggesting is like trying to fit a square peg (the impact) into a round hole (the descriptor) by shaving off the edges to make it fit.
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2019
    I see what you mean yes. I agree with you here, i didn't actually look at it this way. You don't look at the descriptor to try to make them apply to you no.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.