DLA to PIP - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP

2»

Comments

• sugarmag375
    sugarmag375 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Thanks poppy123456, I saw on the Gov website that you could only apply for pip if you were under 65 and I find it all very confusing! It's good to know I can just wait to hear (still)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks poppy123456, I saw on the Gov website that you could only apply for pip if you were under 65 and I find it all very confusing! It's good to know I can just wait to hear (still)
    This is correct. However, if you were under 65 on 8th April 2013 you'll be invited to apply for PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    maya605 said:
    hi all, 
    after my f2f my doctor has put me on 15mg mirtazapine to take alongside my 200mg sertraline. The HP wrote in my assessment about the sertraline but obviously the 15mg was prescribed after f2f. Should I ring DWP to inform them of the added meds or wait for the decision? Any advice? 
    No, there's no need to ring them regarding this. You need to be careful when reporting things like this because it's classed as a change of circumstances and you could be sent another PIP2 form.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    You are one of the lucky ones. I was receiving DLA form 1995 (High Mobility & Care) and have had 3 PIP face to face assessments so far since 2013 and fully expect to have them every 2 years for the rest of my life. I have had to fight 3 no points decisions so far. I will be 71 in a few months so that is something to look forward to I suppose.
  • poppy123456
    Not long ago i remember someone on here said "if you don't ask for an ongoing award you'll constantly get shorter ones"
  • Yadnad
    edited November 2022
    Not long ago i remember someone on here said "if you don't ask for an ongoing award you'll constantly get shorter ones"
    I agree, it was Mike [removed by moderator].
    Somewhere in the back of my memory it is policy that the DWP will decide on all available evidence the length of the award.
    Mike is saying that the length and level of the award are one and as such can be appealed against. 

I always thought that the appellant was duty bound to prove his or her case. In other words the onus is on the claimant in this situation to 'prove' their case as regards the award and the length. The DWP have decided on a time frame and if you do not agree it is reasonable then you have to show why you think that.
  • chiz
    chiz Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    My assessor recommended a 2 year award , DM gave me 10years  , all based on written evidence i submitted x 
    So many different cases out there.
    Ellen x
  • KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    That's good news Chiz.
    My DLA award is indefinate, and I'm on 14 different prescription medications now which is more then I was on when I applied for my original DLA. All my meds will be life long, but seem to be increasing each year.
    Also diagnosed with several lifelong illnesses, but I'm still worried about the PIP changeover when it comes !!

• poppy123456
    KG100 said:
    That's good news Chiz.
    My DLA award is indefinate, and I'm on 14 different prescription medications now which is more then I was on when I applied for my original DLA. All my meds will be life long, but seem to be increasing each year.
    Also diagnosed with several lifelong illnesses, but I'm still worried about the PIP changeover when it comes !!

Hi,

Please remember that PIP is different to DLA. PIP is about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Taking medication and a having a diagnosis, won't help a PIP claim.

When you are eventually asked to apply and you receive the form you need to concentrate on how your conditions affect you. Adding as much information as possible for each descriptor that applies to you. There's very limited space on the form so use extra paper if needed. Add 2-3 examples of that happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.
  • KG100
    Thank's poppy, 
    I'm slowly going through the PIP posts on here, I'm going to make a list of everything so I'm as ready as can be when the change over comes.
    I think I read somewhere that we can download a PIP form so we can have a practise go at filling it in, could be wrong though. 
  • Yadnad
    KG100 said:
    Thank's poppy, 
    I'm slowly going through the PIP posts on here, I'm going to make a list of everything so I'm as ready as can be when the change over comes.
    I think I read somewhere that we can download a PIP form so we can have a practise go at filling it in, could be wrong though. 
    https://www.kdc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/file/Claim Form - How your disability affects you.pdf
  • KG100
    Thanks for that Yadnad, I'll go through it all.
  • Phoebe12
    Phoebe12 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I was on high mobility and I think medium care on d.l.a. For 9 years.  When they changed to PIP my assessor fired questions at me and didn’t wait for answers.  I was so poorly through this my brain froze and I couldn’t answer any more (one of the conditions I have is m.e.). I got the lower care but I only got 4 points on disability mobility cos she said although she observed me walking very slowly (cheeky I didn’t know I was being watched) I was on too many pain killers to not be able to walk.  I had been trying to tell her all through the session and in my form my main problem was the fatigue and being to exhausted to walk.  I am very wary about my next assessment because my condition affects my brain and my brain shuts down (and so does my body) when I am exhausted.  I don’t want a repeat of the last time.  I wish I could take a professional person in with me who can stop them from firing questions at me before I’ve finished answering the last one.  

• sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Phoebe12 said:
    I was on high mobility and I think medium care on d.l.a. For 9 years.  When they changed to PIP my assessor fired questions at me and didn’t wait for answers.  I was so poorly through this my brain froze and I couldn’t answer any more (one of the conditions I have is m.e.). I got the lower care but I only got 4 points on disability mobility cos she said although she observed me walking very slowly (cheeky I didn’t know I was being watched) I was on too many pain killers to not be able to walk.  I had been trying to tell her all through the session and in my form my main problem was the fatigue and being to exhausted to walk.  I am very wary about my next assessment because my condition affects my brain and my brain shuts down (and so does my body) when I am exhausted.  I don’t want a repeat of the last time.  I wish I could take a professional person in with me who can stop them from firing questions at me before I’ve finished answering the last one.  

Phoebe I to have M.E. and I sympathise with you, like you I cant walk far, I still say cameras should be in every interview and it should be reviewed to witness situations like yours. Its nothing less than verbal bullying! 

• Yadnad
    Phoebe12 said:
    .  I wish I could take a professional person in with me who can stop them from firing questions at me before I’ve finished answering the last one.  

That will never be allowed. It is your assessment and only you can give the answers and explanations. Many assessors like yours are not going to sit there whilst a claimant witters on with their answers. I have had 4 assessments just like yours where the assessor only wants a yes/no answer.

Of course it is done to put pressure on the claimant. Some assessors are good at their job, some not so. They have up to an hour to establish if your claim is genuine in all respects and then have to find justification if they think it is not.

• chiz
    chiz Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    KG100 said:
    That's good news Chiz.

Hi .. i too as was high dla indefinate ,  unfortunatley
    Diagnosis or meds mean nothing to pip , i sent letters from people who help me in my daily routine , ie .. bathroom needs and the help i need cooking and they asked about walking distance, pip mobility is hard as it is really  1 question  that needs to score 12 points , my assessment was nowhere near as bad a i feared .
    Goodluck x

• tweetypie3
    tweetypie3 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I have been on DLA for about 10 plus years after first claiming DLA for the first time all them years ago got turned down twice then it went to court  with the help of CAB and was awarded by a judge for life I have congenital hip dysplasia and curvature of the spine   and osteoporosis I am  having to change over to pip forms to fill in evidence for them. face to face just unnessesary stress for people who have a dissbilty

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.