Having to pay back working tax credits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Having to pay back working tax credits

Options
gillylily
gillylily Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I have a question and am wondering if anyone can help. My husband and I were receiving Working Tax Credits last year and were told that we had been overpaid, this was because my husband received part of his pension in a lump sum and we didn't realise it counted as income. We are now having to pay back £3,600. We are both self employed and no longer receiving Working Tax Credits, I have had a recent diagnosis of cancer and have undergone major lung surgery and am not working. Does anyone know if we are still obliged to pay this money back? I have no income coming in apart from a small private pension. 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @gillylily   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing. Sorry to hear this about your illness and I hope you get well soon.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join.

In response to you question I do not know. There will be members of our community who will know or a member of our team will be in touch.

Have you spoken to CAB.  They could advise you.

Benefits are complex and confusing. You need the right information and advice.  They have expertise and knowledge.

Hope that helps.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • gillylily
    gillylily Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for your kind response, you are right about benefits being confusing! I will definitely speak to the CAB for some help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,243 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear of you health!

Unfortunately overpayments do need to be repaid. Are you paying this back monthly? if so and the payments are too high you should ring HMRC to ask them to reduce your payments do to hardship.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    Options
    I know someone who had to pay back just over £2,000.
    They paid back £35 per week untill it was paid off.
    They're quite fair about it really and you can work out how much you can afford to pay back over the phone. 

• sammyjayne2010
    sammyjayne2010 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi,you can request to make lowere payments.write to them with your incomings and outgoings. X

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.