Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Having to pay back working tax credits

gillylilygillylily Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I have a question and am wondering if anyone can help. My husband and I were receiving Working Tax Credits last year and were told that we had been overpaid, this was because my husband received part of his pension in a lump sum and we didn't realise it counted as income. We are now having to pay back £3,600. We are both self employed and no longer receiving Working Tax Credits, I have had a recent diagnosis of cancer and have undergone major lung surgery and am not working. Does anyone know if we are still obliged to pay this money back? I have no income coming in apart from a small private pension. 


  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @gillylily   Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing. Sorry to hear this about your illness and I hope you get well soon.

    I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join.

    In response to you question I do not know. There will be members of our community who will know or a member of our team will be in touch.

    Have you spoken to CAB.  They could advise you.

    Benefits are complex and confusing. You need the right information and advice.  They have expertise and knowledge.

    Hope that helps.

    Please take care.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • gillylilygillylily Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your kind response, you are right about benefits being confusing! I will definitely speak to the CAB for some help.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    I'm sorry to hear of you health!

    Unfortunately overpayments do need to be repaid. Are you paying this back monthly? if so and the payments are too high you should ring HMRC to ask them to reduce your payments do to hardship.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • KG100KG100 Member Posts: 178 Pioneering
    I know someone who had to pay back just over £2,000.
    They paid back £35 per week untill it was paid off.
    They're quite fair about it really and you can work out how much you can afford to pay back over the phone. 

  • sammyjayne2010sammyjayne2010 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi,you can request to make lowere payments.write to them with your incomings and outgoings. X
Sign in or join us to comment.