No words to describe how i feel after Pip results.. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

No words to describe how i feel after Pip results..

Options
Cathal_27
Cathal_27 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello, my name is cathal and I am a 27 year old living with aspergers with severe anxiety and depression.  I was told I was entitled to pip as I was originally being allowed DLA. 
I have always wanted to work and progress in a career but could never hold down a job due to my personal issues understanding and communicating with people  i find dealing with the public extremely stressful and feel like I am being judged 24/7. 
I think some of these issues were as a result of my upbringing and a bullying child hood. 

Anyway I was awarded DLA after easement many years ago and was told due to my mental illness I would always get it and not to worry . This wasn't an excuse as I still always wanted to work and have been constantly searching. But when i was told I had to apply for pip I freaked out. My sister has a rare condition with her pancreas and has been battling her whole life with it. Through multiple operations etc her pip assessment was horrible the lady entered her home where she picked apart everything she was doing she purposely held out a book for her to read to see if she could lift her arms above her head. For one example .

Anyway the lead up to the assament was stressful as every one is. But it didn't help they booked me in the day right after boxing day so i could not enjoy Christmas with my family with the worry. The night before i did not get a wink of sleep i left the house in tears as I get bad nausea from the anxiety and the anti depression tablets were not helping. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. My interview went ahead as planned. The lady seemed nice and she told me not to worry she was just checking details and it wasn't up to her little did I know she recorded and analysed every single thing I did. I was to nervous to speak I could just about get my words out which was why I brought my mum. 

The next part is what really frustrates me.. I received my result this week and I was awarded 0 points!! Apparantly there is nothing wrong with me. Fair enough I'm not in a wheelchair or dieing but no points seriously??? 

I explained I lived on rice and gravy when i tried living by myself and sometimes I would forget to eat and she said i could easily prepare a meal and has not diet problems.. 
I explained the tablets made me gain weight and she said i looked well nourished 
I explained I had severe anxiety and can often misunderstand people details and money and she said i understood  evertyhing being said and seemed intelligent whatever that meant. 
She said i have no problem with transport and driving around even though i dont drive I prob never will as I'm terrified of being behind a wheel and I won't go somewere I dont know i try and walk everywere. 
She also said i was able to use my upper limbs freely even though I wasn't complaining I had physical problems. 

She finished off by saying my mental state was fine..now what the ****. I hadnt shaved in a while I had bags under my eyes . My knees were shaking and I was trying to hold it together plus I'm on Anti anxiety meds... 

Someone please tell me. Do i really deserve nothing? I'm so distressed and have fallen out with my mum over it and don't know who to talk to. She thinks I'm no were near as "ill" as my sister so i shouldn't get it. I dont know.. Should I just give up?? Help 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Cathal_27   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who advise and help new members who join.

Sorry what has happened. You need to appeal the decision.

We have lots of members who have been through the process of appeals.  Who can identify what you are going through right now.

Lots of information on our website.

Consider speaking to CAB about appeals very helpful and informative.

You have come to the right place for support, information and advice.

Hope that helps.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Cathal_27, and a warm welcome to the community.

Thanks for sharing this with us, and I'm so sorry to hear about your assessment. It can be a distressing process, particularly when the outcome isn't what you expected, and I'm sure our community members will be able to empathise. 

My best advice would be to look into appealing the decision. Some of our members may be able to help you with this, and this Scope page may help you get started. Have a read, and please do come back to us with any questions.

https://youtu.be/4sOsiEFo-Ck

And mostly importantly, do make sure you're looking after yourself. Do you have people around you who you can talk to?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.