Do we need to make a fresh claim? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do we need to make a fresh claim?

kaylaboo
kaylaboo Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, wondering if anyone can help! Recently had my daughters pip result back enhanced mob no standard living (1 point away) however carers allowance stopped so income support will end in March, however if circumstances change I will have to make a fresh claim, does that mean if after her MR if she is awarded that point and I get CA reinstated I still have to make a claim or will it just update as my award has had new info? This is the most confusing system I’ve ever encountered, if anyone knows I’d be much appreciated........I’d rather not be in the situation where we have disabilities and be functionally “normal” so to speak, I guess not everyone is so fortunate. TIA 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @kaylaboo   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join.

In response to your question on benefits. I do not know an answer. There will be members of our community or a member of our team who may know the answer.

Benefits are so confusing and complex as you have realised. I would contact the local CAB branch you have.

Where you live. They have expertise and knowledge of benefits.

I know that will help.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kaylaboo, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, I hope things move forwards for you and your daughter soon. Hopefully our experienced community members will be in touch and able to offer some guidance here.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If the decision changes at MR stage and there's only an 18% chance it will, then your Carers Allowance and Income Support should just continue because you can update Carers Allowance with the award details.

If there's no change and your Income Support stops then you'll need to claim Universal credit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    Hi,

If the decision changes at MR stage and there's only an 18% chance it will, then your Carers Allowance and Income Support should just continue because you can update Carers Allowance with the award details.

If there's no change and your Income Support stops then you'll need to claim Universal credit.
    I agree you can have the Carers Allowance re-instated back to when it finished so long as you make the claim shortly after being re-awarded Care. And as you mentioned once the PIP care is in place and Carers Allowance is back up and running the poster will have to claim UC.

Not understanding how UC works I can only point out that if there is a break between the Income Support finishing and the claiming of UC (either after PIP Care has been awarded at MR stage or Tribunal) I doubt that you can claim back to when Income Support stopped. This would mean a time (weeks/months) when benefits will be lost.
    As I say I may be wrong on the operation of UC.

I am comparing my situation to the poster's which is similar in that my Guaranteed Pension Credit was only payable on the basis that PIP Care was in force. My PIP Care ceased at the end of 2017 and so did the Guaranteed Pension Credit. If I win at the Tribunal which could be in 12 months time and it is backdated to when it finished in late 2017, I would have lost the GPC money from 2017 to the date of the PIP award as you cannot backdate Pension Credit beyond 3 months in the same way that any means tested benefit can't. To me that would mean that it is likely to cost me 32 months of lost Pension Credit totalling in excess of £7200.  

This just demonstrates what the consequences are for claimants like the poster and myself where we have these long delays created by the DWP and the Tribunal Service. Money is lost.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.