False reports of benefit fraud — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

False reports of benefit fraud

SMW83
SMW83 Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
Hi, 

Over the last 18 months I have been investigated for benefit fraud on four occasions. On each occasion I am cleared of any wrongdoing however it has been stated that even though it is obvious these reports are being made maliciously they are obliged to investigate any future report. They have advised there have been several more reports over this time that they did not act upon as it is clear these are false reports.

I have contacted the police as I know who is doing this as this person exhausted every possibility to cause issue for me. However the police have said that there is nothing they can do as the pubic are entitled to report anything they wish even if reports are fabricated.

As I cannot see any cessation in the campaign this person is undertaking to create issue for me, with my being advised that the person in question is allowed to continue unchallenged and my personal life will continue be violated by investigations and such borne of spurious claims, I attempted suicide last week.

Whilst said attempt was unsuccessful (other than irreparable damage to my liver and the possibility of going into liver failure) I am at the point now where I see no option but to end my life should this onslaught by my neighbour continues.

I ultimately do not know why I am posting here. Perhaps in the hope someone can offer advice or some words of wisdom, I do not know.

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    If I was you I would move away from that area.
  • SMW83
    Yadnad said:
    If I was you I would move away from that area.
    Unfortunately this is an impossibility as I am not in a financial situation to do so nor do I have anywhere to go.
  • Yadnad
    Well if that is the case try to ensure that whatever you do in your life, inside or outside cannot be interpreted as something different to what it is. Be careful of all of your actions and never discuss money or benefits with anybody.
  • sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    SMW83 said:
    Hi, 

Over the last 18 months I have been investigated for benefit fraud on four occasions. On each occasion I am cleared of any wrongdoing however it has been stated that even though it is obvious these reports are being made maliciously they are obliged to investigate any future report. They have advised there have been several more reports over this time that they did not act upon as it is clear these are false reports.

I have contacted the police as I know who is doing this as this person exhausted every possibility to cause issue for me. However the police have said that there is nothing they can do as the pubic are entitled to report anything they wish even if reports are fabricated.

As I cannot see any cessation in the campaign this person is undertaking to create issue for me, with my being advised that the person in question is allowed to continue unchallenged and my personal life will continue be violated by investigations and such borne of spurious claims, I attempted suicide last week.

Whilst said attempt was unsuccessful (other than irreparable damage to my liver and the possibility of going into liver failure) I am at the point now where I see no option but to end my life should this onslaught by my neighbour continues.

I ultimately do not know why I am posting here. Perhaps in the hope someone can offer advice or some words of wisdom, I do not know.

Gosh this is terrible, I had as friend who was driven to despair over being attacked by a horrible neighbour to the point she has to move from her home which had a stair lift in for her disability . She also was talking of suicide but never did. Are you in housing association property or renting private? Or are you a home owner?  Its never right and should made illegal for anyone to cause such infliction on a neighbour. I hope you do make a good recovery and somehow you find a way out of this dreadful situation.  If its housing association then they should be made to move, if its home ownership then not so easy to deal with. . Are you living on your own?   The more they carry on with this the more those investigating will tend to not  take much notice, they are bullying you  and wasting investigators time as well. Surely in the end they will see its getting then no where, easy said though, we have  been In your shoes 3 times and we never knew who our culprit was so will always wonder. as you do seem to know whos doing this to you the only way to win is to try and get on with your life, don't let one person rob you of it, they arnt worth it. Maybe they will get fed up in the end and leave you alone, one can only hope. Hope someone else can come up with some legal advice for you.

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @SMW83
    As the advice to inform the police was unsuccessful.Maybe you should consider asking DWP to perform their own internal investigation to determine if all the reports have come from the same person or persons.If so I would point out that they are wasting public money by continuing to make spurious reports and that the DWP may want to deal with this directly with the person reporting.
        Debsidoo.x
  • SMW83
    debsidoo said:
    Hi @SMW83
    As the advice to inform the police was unsuccessful.Maybe you should consider asking DWP to perform their own internal investigation to determine if all the reports have come from the same person or persons.If so I would point out that they are wasting public money by continuing to make spurious reports and that the DWP may want to deal with this directly with the person reporting.
        Debsidoo.x
    I have raised this with the Counter Fraud and Compliance Directorate who have stated that as the reports have been made anonymously they would be unable to identify the source of the complaints.
  • ebeneee
    ebeneee Community member Posts: 87 Pioneering
     Hi @SMW83, im really sorry to hear that this is happening to you, have you contacted the C.A.B or your MP regarding this, i would to see if there is anything that can be done, i hope that this gets sorted out
  • SMW83
    ebeneee said:
     Hi @SMW83, im really sorry to hear that this is happening to you, have you contacted the C.A.B or your MP regarding this, i would to see if there is anything that can be done, i hope that this gets sorted out
    Thank you for your reply. I have previously contacted my local MP regarding this matter but he was seemingly loath to assist me and all I got were generic responses from the DWP. 

My illnesses render me virtually housebound so attending a CAB office is an impossibility and I have spent many a hour trying to call them with the lines constantly engaged.
  • Yadnad
    SMW83 said:
    ebeneee said:
    Thank you for your reply. I have previously contacted my local MP regarding this matter but he was seemingly loath to assist me and all I got were generic responses from the DWP. 

My illnesses render me virtually housebound so attending a CAB office is an impossibility and I have spent many a hour trying to call them with the lines constantly engaged.
    Having that problem with the CAB does not surprise me. You want to try to get an appointment by calling at their offices. I got told to go home and wait for someone to get back to me with an appointment - that was over 5 years ago - never heard from them!
  • ebeneee
    ebeneee Community member Posts: 87 Pioneering
    @SMW83 Dont give up,......... try contacting agencies like scope help line, to see what advise can be given over the phone
  • pixie61
    pixie61 Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
    Hi, really sorry you’re going through this. Do you have any family or close friends who can help you in any way? I’m worried about your state of mind, have you been to your GP? Maybe the Samaritans might be able to help you. Just talking through your situation with somebody, having another person to listen to you & might even be able to offer advice! I’m sorry I can’t be of any help, it’s just a thought.  Xx
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I didn't want to read this and not reply,I'm sorry this is happening to you and it must be terrible but your life is worth far more than these idiots,the only suggestion I have if you are certain who is doing this would be to get a solicitor to write to them on your behalf telling them to back off or you will take action through the legal system against them. Another idea might be to report them for non existent fraud (dwp or hmrc) see how they like the boot being on the other foot so to speak?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• SMW83
    ebeneee said:
    @SMW83 Dont give up,......... try contacting agencies like scope help line, to see what advise can be given over the phone
    As I’ve said this has been ongoing for 18 months now and I have literally exhausted every possible action to have this addressed, to no avail. I’m sure you can understand the desperation I find myself in to see no alternative but to attempt suicide.
  • SMW83
    pixie61 said:
    Hi, really sorry you’re going through this. Do you have any family or close friends who can help you in any way? I’m worried about your state of mind, have you been to your GP? Maybe the Samaritans might be able to help you. Just talking through your situation with somebody, having another person to listen to you & might even be able to offer advice! I’m sorry I can’t be of any help, it’s just a thought.  Xx
    Thank you for your kind words. I have been in contact with my GP subsequent to my suicide attempt and she has stated that she can entirely understand why I made such an attempt when I have exhausted every eventuality to have this matter dealt with over the last 18 months with no resolution. I believe that speaks volumes when a medical professional empathises with a suicide attempt.
  • SMW83
    woodbine said:
    I didn't want to read this and not reply,I'm sorry this is happening to you and it must be terrible but your life is worth far more than these idiots,the only suggestion I have if you are certain who is doing this would be to get a solicitor to write to them on your behalf telling them to back off or you will take action through the legal system against them. Another idea might be to report them for non existent fraud (dwp or hmrc) see how they like the boot being on the other foot so to speak?
    The point is they are actually committing benefit fraud which I can prove, so for them to report me and draw attention to my circumstance shows the mentality (or lack thereof) of this person. 

Although they are committing benefits fraud, they have two young children and it would be them that ultimately suffer which leaves me extremely conflicted as to what to do as the children did not ask for idiotic, puerile parents.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.