Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

New claim for ESA

Good morning,
I'm new to Scope,but need some benefit advice.  I'm coming to the end of my work ssp and my manager is sending the form out that's necessary at 23 weeks. Can I claim contribution based esa at the end of the 28 weeks whilst still employed? Or do i need to hand my notice in? I only work 16 1/2 hours normally as I rec'd a type of spinal cord injury 11 years ago. I work
In primary care at a gp surgery  and think I'm going to have to retire on I'll health grounds as my pain and symptoms are getting worse.  Any advice would be greatfully rec'd. 


  • debsidoodebsidoo Member Posts: 327 Pioneering
    Hi @SamT
    My advice would be to contact the DWP and discuss your options.They will advise you as to what route to go down initially. Also help can be found on the C.A.B website as this is only a forum and without knowing your exact circumstances nobody here can tell you what to expect.Good luck.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,945 Disability Gamechanger

    As all areas are now a full universal credit area then you'll need to claim New style ESA. Details of how to do this are in the following link, scroll to the bottom of the page. You'll need sick/fit notes from your GP to be able to claim this.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.