ESA top up and child tax credit, anyone? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA top up and child tax credit, anyone?

Options
morningall
morningall Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hello there to all. New member ahoy!
Ok, good people, straight down to it, husband was one of those who migrated to ESA from IB back in the day. So he claims contributions based ESA and was placed in support group.

He was claiming for me at the time he migrated and still does. The claim has always been contributions based but the top up is income related as I don't work and only claim CB/ CTC/ HB and council tax help.
As you know, this amount would never increase post migration (£154.60 a week paid fortnightly, £109ish being the contributions bit, the rest a top up) but we were caught up in the underpaid group and as a result have received back pay this week.  All is well and understood on that front. But a thought occurred to me this afternoon.....

So, naturally, being in receipt of child tax credit I informed HMRC as our income has increased by 20-odd quid a week (I'll tell the council when I've sorted HMRC.)

Now here's the bit I need help with, if anyone has the answer I'd be so grateful.

For all these years I've been putting the full amount of benefit into the "taxable social security income" box (around £8000 each year) on the tax credits form.

Have I been making a huge mistake all these years? Should I have left off the top up (which was around £30 a week but has now increased to around £50) and simply put the contributions based payment *in the box"? I should add the CTC is £64.34pw currently.

I've already rung HMRC this week once, and my shredded nerves can't take another phone call (fair enough, autism!!!) so it's over to you......be gentle with me, it's been a bit of a week!!!!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,187 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You were doing everything correctly. I'm assuming that you have 1 child that you claim TC for? If so then that's the maximum tax credits you can claim for 1 child without disabilities, which is the correct amount for someone claiming a benefit like ESA whether it's CB or income related, if there's no other household income. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • morningall
    morningall Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Well thanks for the lovely welcome and the advice, so much appreciated  :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,187 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're welcome.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.