Pension income — Scope | Disability forum

Pension income

Sandra01 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I'm on contribution based ESA and PIP - can my husband who receives state pension and a private occupation pension receive Carers Allowance? Also what is 'underlying condition'?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,836 Disability Gamechanger

    No, your husband can't receive carers allowance because of his state pension. The underlying entitlement means that if he receives pension credit then it's possible he could be paid the carers element on top of the pension credit. If he doesn't receive pension credit then the underlying entitlement means that he could qualify for pension credit. Whether he qualifies will depend on circumstances.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.