Will a change of address push me on to Universal Credit? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will a change of address push me on to Universal Credit?

daverv
daverv Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Hi Folks

I'd like to move house to a neighbouring council (from Liverpool to Sefton), but I keep receiving conflicting information as to how this will effect my claim.  There will be no other changes that might affect my claim.  Is anyone able to help answer my questions?

I am in the ESA Support Group (contribution based).  I was migrated from Incapacity Benefit, and still receive a transitional payment from this (this ends next April).  I receive no other benefits.

- Is this a simple change of address, or will I be forced onto Universal Credit?
- If I’m transferred to Universal Credit, will this be as a new claim and will I have to undertake a full medical assessment? (When I spoke to the DWP they said no, but other sources say yes, as it will be a new claim.)
- I’ve read Universal Credit is only for means tested benefits, but my current ESA is contribution based.  I understand there is a new-style ESA, but this is limited to one year.
- If I’m transferred to Universal Credit, how will this affect my benefit?  (The DWP said it “I shouldn’t see much change”, and my transitional payment will still be paid.)

I really want to move, but if it means a medical assessment and reduction in benefits, then possibly not!

Many thanks

Dave

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you don't receive housing benefit then it's just a simple change of address and you'll remain on your existing ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    daverv said:

Hi Folks

I'd like to move house to a neighbouring council (from Liverpool to Sefton), but I keep receiving conflicting information as to how this will effect my claim.  There will be no other changes that might affect my claim.  Is anyone able to help answer my questions?

I am in the ESA Support Group (contribution based).  I was migrated from Incapacity Benefit, and still receive a transitional payment from this (this ends next April).  I receive no other benefits.

- Is this a simple change of address, or will I be forced onto Universal Credit?
    - If I’m transferred to Universal Credit, will this be as a new claim and will I have to undertake a full medical assessment? (When I spoke to the DWP they said no, but other sources say yes, as it will be a new claim.)
    - I’ve read Universal Credit is only for means tested benefits, but my current ESA is contribution based.  I understand there is a new-style ESA, but this is limited to one year.
    - If I’m transferred to Universal Credit, how will this affect my benefit?  (The DWP said it “I shouldn’t see much change”, and my transitional payment will still be paid.)

I really want to move, but if it means a medical assessment and reduction in benefits, then possibly not!

Many thanks

Dave

@daverv Gordon has answered your question on the Benefits & Work site.

⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    It depends if it is a full UC service area, then you will have to claim UC. 
  • poppy123456
    It depends if it is a full UC service area, then you will have to claim UC. 
    This is not correct. If there's no claim for housing benefit needed then a change of address will not prompt a move to UC, as i previously advised. It will just be a change of address.

Just so that you know, all areas are now a full UC area and have been since middle of December.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Yes indeed i know but there's no claim for any of the other benefits. The only benefit this person claims is contributions based ESA which isn't means tested and is not part of UC. As previously advised, it's just a simple change of address.

It would be exactly the same if someone else was claiming just ESA Income related..... a change of address would not prompt a move to UC because they are not claiming housing benefit or any other benefits.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.