PIP assessment - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment

Options

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    Options
    kells2019 said:
    I'm not feeling very positive after pip accessement and decision letter got more info of doctor yesterday when they CT scanned me in nov showed right paratracheal and right hilar adenopathy so I have 2 b further scanned at later stage then they X rayed me and found a degree of linear atelectasis at right base of my lung they then changed my inhaler 2 anoro elipta and hav 2 b x-rayed again I honestly don't no wot Al this means if any one does it b very helpful thanks again
    All of that means as much to me as it would to an assessor - zilch. Try explaining instead, given all of the above, in terms of how they affect your life (impact),  what descriptors you think will fit those effects (impacts) and what evidence do you have that confirms those effects (impacts) - then you will be getting somewhere.
  • kells2019
    kells2019 Community member Posts: 37 Listener
    Options
    I did al that everything I z I couldn't do she z I could do so that's y this is new evidence I'm sending in plus a letter of social worker she's already referred me 2 ot 2 cum out and access me and my home 4 diff aids 2help me I no this is Gona b more months of stress and worry I don't no how them accesor r allowed 2 get away with this thanks 4,everyone's help xxx
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It really is necessary to explain how breathing difficulties affect you, unless you have suffered this then many cannot understand why you don't just breath after all you have done it all you life.

In my own claim I focused on the following descriptors

When looking at the descriptors that may apply to you if you suffer from breathing difficulties consider the following

DAILY LIVING ACTIVITIES

1. Preparing food.
    a. Can prepare and cook a simple meal unaided.  0 points.
    b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal.  2 points.

You may need to use a perching stool as an aid if you cannot stand for long

4. Washing and bathing.
    a. Can wash and bathe unaided.  0 points.
    b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to wash or bathe.  2 points.
    c. Needs supervision or prompting to be able to wash or bathe.  2 points.
    d. Needs assistance to be able to wash either their hair or body below the waist.  2 points.
    e. Needs assistance to be able to get in or out of a bath or shower.  3 points.
    f. Needs assistance to be able to wash their body between the shoulders and waist.  4 points.

Depending on your level of breathlessness B,C, D, E, or F may apply

5. Managing toilet needs or incontinence.
    a
    . Can manage toilet needs or incontinence unaided.  0 points.
    b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to manage toilet needs or incontinence.  2 points

You might have difficulty getting on or off a toilet and a raised seat and or hand rails are necessary

6. Dressing and undressing.
    a. Can dress and undress unaided.  0 points.
    b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to dress or undress.  2 points.
    c. Needs either -
    (i) prompting to be able to dress, undress or determine appropriate circumstances for remaining clothed; or
    (ii) prompting or assistance to be able to select appropriate clothing.  2 points.
    d. Needs assistance to be able to dress or undress their lower body.  2 points.
    e. Needs assistance to be able to dress or undress their upper body.  4 points.

If bending to put on socks etc means that you need an aid then B or D should apply
    In this descriptor it is important to remember that the activity should be done in a reasonable time. A reasonable time is to be able to dress when getting out of bed and after washing.
    If your medication takes 2 hours or so to start to work or it takes you a very long time with needing to rest, then you cannot be regarded as being able to complete the activity to an acceptable standard

. Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition.

You may be able to score here if you need assistance or monitoring to complete recommended therapy at home but that will depend on your needs. As an example, I am on home oxygen therapy for 6 hours per day but I frequently fall asleep whilst hooked up so I do need monitoring

Not all of this will apply to everyone but scoringa  minimum 2 points in the first four catagories will give you 8 points and standard daily living

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • kells2019
    Options
    Thank u they got alot of medical evidence and I mean a lot I explained at the accessement the things I could do but she wrote that she thinks I can I got the info as well from ESA medical I'm in the support group I no ther both complety diff I was referred the social worker when I was in hosp they came and seen me but I only got a proper visit from them this week my mum was with I also have mental health issues I have had 3suicide attempts and self harmed she asked did I still have sucide thoughts she was told yes that's y my mum hold Al my medication in tablet box with the days on it she didn't believe that either she z I don't think she has suicide thoughts my last suicide attemp was 4years ago so my family don't trust me I have been dealing with mental health issues from my son was born but I wasted treated 4post natal depression until he was ten months old because I wouldn't admit I had a problem I also have 2 slipped discs in my neck and small curture of the spine and fibromargla I'm known 2loads of diff mental health teams as I was reading her notes it was like she was talking about sumone so shocked I hate the thought of appeal but if I have 2fite this al the way I am with help of an advisor thank u everyone 4ur help xxx
  • kells2019
    Options
    I meant I told her everything I can't do but she z I can do totally shocked xxx
  • kells2019
    Options
    I told them everything I couldn't do and so did my mum I'm on nebs at home not oxygen yet but my mum sits with me because it can make me light headed and I suffer low blood pressure and hav passed out a few times with low blood pressure because I could squeeze her fingers how would that affect my breathing the system is Def rong my mum told her I need promoting 2 wash and dress and my mum would dry my bk 4 me cause even showering makes me breathless and I need 2 rest I feel as if I'm fighting a loosein battle 2 b honest thank everyone again xxx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Needing to rest because showering makes you breathless won't score you any points either. The dosset box for your medication could score you 1 point. Why do you need prompting to wash and dress?

Adding up those 3 descriptors, if you scored for them then that's only 5 points for daily living which isn't enough for an award. You need to score 8 points for standard award.

Where else do you think you could score those points? have you looked at the descriptors?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Options
    kells2019 said:
    I told them everything I couldn't do and so did my mum I'm on nebs at home not oxygen yet but my mum sits with me because it can make me light headed and I suffer low blood pressure and hav passed out a few times with low blood pressure because I could squeeze her fingers how would that affect my breathing the system is Def rong my mum told her I need promoting 2 wash and dress and my mum would dry my bk 4 me cause even showering makes me breathless and I need 2 rest I feel as if I'm fighting a loosein battle 2 b honest thank everyone again xxx
    As others have already pointed out. You can say anything but you will have to evidence it. If just telling the assessor or just putting on the claim form is acceptable then everybody will get an award. The assessor has to approach it from a different angle. You say you can't - the assessor wants to find out if you can. The assessor will look for every reason to dispute what you are saying.
  • kells2019
    Options
    I suffer chronic depression and aniexty plus 2slipped discs in my neck fibromargla small curveture in spine asthma and COPD my mum's holds my medications I have had 3 suicide attempts I was awarded standard care near the end of 2017 if I had them problems then y can't they c I need more help now they stopped my award I received no points at Al this is wot I'm trying 2 xplain my needs hav got greater and my health far far worse I'm not going on conditions I have it's about the help I need 2 do things thanks4everyones help xxx
  • Yadnad
    Options
    ilovecats said:
    Needing to rest because showering makes you breathless won't score you any points either. The dosset box for your medication could score you 1 point. Why do you need prompting to wash and dress?

Adding up those 3 descriptors, if you scored for them then that's only 5 points for daily living which isn't enough for an award. You need to score 8 points for standard award.

Where else do you think you could score those points? have you looked at the descriptors?
    Poppy is right about a dosette box scoring one point but I’d like to add it’s only if you have a cognitive or physical reason to use it. Many people choose to use them for convenience reasons...….. 
    likewise as some do with walking sticks, crutches, wheelchair etc etc . Need over choice at all times.
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    you might be best advised to seek face to face trained help from an advice centre near you. There is a limit to what any internet forum can advise as we do not have all your details
  • Gerald
    Gerald Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Options
    ilovecats said:
    kells2019 said:
    Just remember, although you’ve told her what you feel you can’t do because of your conditions, assessors are trained to looks for evidence of what you CAN do. There is a heirarchy of evidence and unfortunately what you say you can or can’t do is at the bottom. Everything has to be evidenced.
    Okay ilovecats you put this in a post That's how PIP works. We cannot just take people at their word, it has to be evidenced in many ways. and that is in a list of medication with the claim form and in my doctors report and medication  i take  the and the consultants report on the problems with my rheumatoid arthritis and for the medication the rest of my problems so how much evidenced do you need and if your PIP assessor do not look at it in the first place and just put down what they think on that day how can you win with that and you put this in post to otherwise every single person with any diagnosis would claim and the pot of money isn't infinite. and  do you think that i like being like this and living with mental health problems and disabilitys and disabled and the rest of the people with mental health problems and disabilitys and disabled are going to the assessment just for the money and a fun day out i will swap my day to day life with my PIP assessor now and then have is job and do is assessment doing the same thing to him as he as done to me and see how he likes it and knowing there is come back on me.
  • Yadnad
    Options
    kells2019 said:
    I suffer chronic depression and aniexty plus 2slipped discs in my neck fibromargla small curveture in spine asthma and COPD my mum's holds my medications I have had 3 suicide attempts I was awarded standard care near the end of 2017 if I had them problems then y can't they c I need more help now they stopped my award I received no points at Al this is wot I'm trying 2 xplain my needs hav got greater and my health far far worse I'm not going on conditions I have it's about the help I need 2 do things thanks4everyones help xxx
    kells2019 said:

Again PIP has nothing to do with your needs, wants and hopes. It is all down to how your life has been impacted AND fits in with the specific descriptors.
    Many people are extremely disabled and are finding life almost impossible to cope with. Yet if their issues creates an impact in their life it must also fit the descriptors - otherwise no matter what their situation is they will not qualify for PIP.

However for some that have a problem in walking but suffer more than 50% of the time if they move more than 20 metres they would normally get enhanced mobility.
    For someone that has had Social Services install some aids around the house each aid + 2plts - 4 aids = standard care.

It might not appear fair, in that some claimants appear to get awards for a lesser disability but then that is the system.
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    This is not necessarily true. The points can only be awarded once per descriptor
  • kells2019
    Options
    My award has been stopped I was on standard care I put in 4 change of circumstances my doctors no this has big impact of my life and stops me Livin a proper life every month without fail I'm on antibiotics and steroids and loads of medication so how can that not hav an impact on my life she z I showed no 4 fatigue 2days later my bloods came bk showing in really low in foliate thanks 4everyones help xxx
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Putting in a change of circumstances is always risky and face to face advise should always be received before doing so. Taking lots of medication will not help a PIP award.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Gerald
    Gerald Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Options
    ilovecats said:
    Gerald said:
    ilovecats said:
    kells2019 said:
    Just remember, although you’ve told her what you feel you can’t do because of your conditions, assessors are trained to looks for evidence of what you CAN do. There is a heirarchy of evidence and unfortunately what you say you can or can’t do is at the bottom. Everything has to be evidenced.
    Okay ilovecats you put this in a post That's how PIP works. We cannot just take people at their word, it has to be evidenced in many ways. and that is in a list of medication with the claim form and in my doctors report and medication  i take  the and the consultants report on the problems with my rheumatoid arthritis and for the medication the rest of my problems so how much evidenced do you need and if your PIP assessor do not look at it in the first place and just put down what they think on that day how can you win with that and you put this in post to otherwise every single person with any diagnosis would claim and the pot of money isn't infinite. and  do you think that i like being like this and living with mental health problems and disabilitys and disabled and the rest of the people with mental health problems and disabilitys and disabled are going to the assessment just for the money and a fun day out i will swap my day to day life with my PIP assessor now and then have is job and do is assessment doing the same thing to him as he as done to me and see how he likes it and knowing there is come back on me.
    Hi @Gerald I have read your post and I can see how frustrated you are. I myself am not disabled but I have immediate family members who are and who suffer with chronic conditions so I sympathise. Is there a question in your post to me?
    Yes ilovecats there is if you put about PIP your words otherwise every single person with any diagnosis would claim and the pot of money isn't infinite. then how about this to put money in the stop the contract with  Atos Healthcare and run as  Maximus there a US outsourcing firm and get this form The DWP pays Maximus £200 for each report as a way to look like its not a Atos running the Assessments  At the face-to-face assessments, the assessors – who are nurses, doctors or physiotherapists – are guided and prompted by a computer programme, designed by Atos in conjunction with the DWP, and just let the DWP run the PIP Assessments in house that save some money on the reports and the contract with a profit-run  provider and still doing the job after this back in 2015 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26766345
  • kells2019
    Options
    I did get face 2face help with the change of needs from cab they told me 2b very open with them as she found it hard getting info out of me the amount of meds I'm on zonk u rite out the accessor even agreed I honestly think the system is al rong we r meant 2go by r worst days and I did not one lie was told al my evidence bks everything up wot I z if I wasn't sick and didn't need help then y am I refered 2 ot 2access me and my home 4diff aids ther even talking about a panic alarm 4 me cause I was found collapsed in street by not being able 2breathe worst fellinn in the world thanks 24everyones advise xxx
  • poppy123456
    Options
    kells2019 said:
    we r meant 2go by r worst days
    If you filled your form out or went to the assessment and based it on your worst day then this is the worst thing anyone can do. PIP is not about your worst day and shouldn't be based on this. By doing this the HCP will most likely see through this if on the day of the assessment you happen to be having one of your "better days" they will immediately think "well if that's their worst day, they can't be as bad as they say they are"

It's about how you are 50% of the time over a 12 month period.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Gerald said:

Yes ilovecats there is if you put about PIP your words otherwise every single person with any diagnosis would claim and the pot of money isn't infinite. then how about this to put money in the stop the contract with  Atos Healthcare and run as  Maximus there a US outsourcing firm and get this form The DWP pays Maximus £200 for each report as a way to look like its not a Atos running the Assessments  At the face-to-face assessments, the assessors – who are nurses, doctors or physiotherapists – are guided and prompted by a computer programme, designed by Atos in conjunction with the DWP, and just let the DWP run the PIP Assessments in house that save some money on the reports and the contract with a profit-run  provider and still doing the job after this back in 2015 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26766345
    I don't understand what your question is and i don't understand what point you're trying to get at. I have just read your link and see it's about fit for work which is ESA and this thread and part of the forum is about PIP. PIP and ESA are 2 completely different benefits.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.