Who else has Drop foot — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who else has Drop foot

fb2018
fb2018 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
How many people on the forum have this condition, how do you cope with it any hints or tips would be much appreciated . THANKS 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @fb2018   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who help and advise new members who join.

In answer to your question there will be members who might be in touch who will help and support you.

Have a look at our website.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @fb2018, and welcome!

I'm tagging in @harrisonjohn and @George12 who have both discussed drop foot on the community in the past.

There's also some helpful information on this NHS page which may be worth a read. Have a look, and do feel free to come back to us with any questions.

If you have foot drop, you'll find it difficult to lift the front part of your foot off the ground. This means you'll have a tendency to scuff your toes along the ground, increasing your risk of falls. To prevent this, you may lift your foot higher than usual when walking.

Recovery depends on the cause of foot drop and how long you've had it. In some cases it can be permanent.
    Making small changes in your home, such as removing clutter and using non-slip rugs and mats, can help prevent falls. There are also measures you can take to help stabilise your foot and improve your walking ability.
  • DinkypinsScope1
    DinkypinsScope1 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Yep intermittent in my left side, I have nerve damaged that causes other things too.
  • KittyTinker
    KittyTinker Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    My son uses a PACE from Odstock medical. It was recommended by his physio. He has annual reviews where he is timed and videotaped walking with and without it and it makes a great difference. 
  • fb2018
    fb2018 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks , my footdrop is permanet due to neuro surgery. I suffer horrific nerve paon in my right leg and ca manage to walk about 10meters then rest i use a 4 wheel rollator.
    I get pips top rate but still ssp from work what type of benefits do you recieve . Thanks ps are you also classed  as disabled? 
  • WhatsTheMetaJohn
    WhatsTheMetaJohn Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I was diagnosed with FD about 7 years ago, but in all honesty I must have had it most of my life (things just start to make sense when something get's diagnosed). My FD is a symptom of spinal compression, perminant and I have 95% signal loss to my left foot. 

Coping varies from day-to-day depending on my mood or how tired my back is. I certainly notice things like slight inclines more and when I do trip it can be nothing or can completly jar my back, leaving me uncomfortable for days. 

I try and keep walk ways in the house as clear as possible, but it's not easy with a 5yr old and a wife with a home business. I've certainly noticed a decline in muscle density to my left calf since I've been diagnosed, so I do try and excersise my legs where I can, to keep up my strength. Rowing seems to be the best fit for me so far, as it works my calf musles while strengthening my lower back. That and cycling. Both recommended by my GP. 

I tried the splint for a while and can't thank the OT workshop team enough for their support, they were brill! It was something that really helped at first, but because I walked everywhere, it became tiring and started to effect my mood, so I stopped wearing it. 

Oddly, it was only at a recent assessment for the DVLA that I was refered to as disabled. It's something I'm still trying to get my head around. 

• Cassie3
    Cassie3 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi all, yes I suffer with drop foot in both and I also wear splints, but they can be uncomfortable when I wear them all day, I tend to do some exercise sitting on the sofa with my feet up and down lol looks silly but it helps, I also have arthritis in my right arm and find holding things very difficult some days. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing your expeirences @cassie3 and @WhatsTheMetaJohn :) 

It's really common for people to feel that way when they're referred to as 'disabled' for the first time @WhatsTheMetaJohn, especially as the word unfortunately has so many negative connotations.

Are you familiar with the social model of disability?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness