universal credit question? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

universal credit question?

Silver925
Silver925 Community member Posts: 106 Courageous
edited February 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
I have noticed when you create an account for UC they ask the question are you receiving an disability benefits. I am currently receiving IR ESA Support Group. It didn't list this as an option but said none of these. Would I tick yes and none of the above or do I tick no. As I don't know if my ESA claim will stop when moved to uc or just transferred. Confused.

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Silver925

Thank you for sharing this with us. Some of our members may be able to answer your question soon. :)
    In the meantime you may find our universal credit page useful.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    edited February 2019

Hi @Silver925 If you are on income related ESA and you claim Universal Credit, your irESA would stop.  The UC claim system is asking about disability benefits (such as PIP and DLA) because these benefits can sometimes give rise to a premium call the Severe Disability Premium (SDP) being paid within means tested benefits.  At present, if a benefit claimant is paid an SDP within their means tested benefits, they CANNOT claim Universal Credit.  That is why these questions are being asked - to sift out those who cannot claim it.  If you do not receive PIP or any of the other disability benefits listed then there is no way you would be receiving the SDP.  However, if you are on irESA there is no need for you to claim UC until the DWP send you a letter to tell you it is time for you to claim it (this is called a Migration Notice).  No-one is getting these yet. 

Hope that helps.

Sarah

The Benefits Training Co:

• Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    I tend to ensure using the 'Journal' page and messaging your worker/advisor with ANYTHING. I must admit that some are more helpful than others, but they should assist you completely with any enquiries, and at least your requests will be logged.  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.