Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

universal credit question?

Silver925Silver925 Member Posts: 87 Courageous
edited February 2019 in Universal Credit
I have noticed when you create an account for UC they ask the question are you receiving an disability benefits. I am currently receiving IR ESA Support Group. It didn't list this as an option but said none of these. Would I tick yes and none of the above or do I tick no. As I don't know if my ESA claim will stop when moved to uc or just transferred. Confused.


  • Antonia_AlumniAntonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Silver925

    Thank you for sharing this with us. Some of our members may be able to answer your question soon. :)
    In the meantime you may find our universal credit page useful.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    edited February 2019

    Hi @Silver925 If you are on income related ESA and you claim Universal Credit, your irESA would stop.  The UC claim system is asking about disability benefits (such as PIP and DLA) because these benefits can sometimes give rise to a premium call the Severe Disability Premium (SDP) being paid within means tested benefits.  At present, if a benefit claimant is paid an SDP within their means tested benefits, they CANNOT claim Universal Credit.  That is why these questions are being asked - to sift out those who cannot claim it.  If you do not receive PIP or any of the other disability benefits listed then there is no way you would be receiving the SDP.  However, if you are on irESA there is no need for you to claim UC until the DWP send you a letter to tell you it is time for you to claim it (this is called a Migration Notice).  No-one is getting these yet. 

    Hope that helps.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • RoddyRoddy Member Posts: 389 Pioneering
    I tend to ensure using the 'Journal' page and messaging your worker/advisor with ANYTHING. I must admit that some are more helpful than others, but they should assist you completely with any enquiries, and at least your requests will be logged.  
Sign in or join us to comment.