PIP Assessments For Mental Health - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Assessments For Mental Health

2»

Comments

• michfinch
    michfinch Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    So, going back to the original question PIP, yes another Appeal for me as an Epileptic for PIP and, as I mentioned earlier, at my ESA Appeal, the Judge raised her eyebrows and said I should be on PIP. All understood. Happy to help anyone and not get upset/agitated/feel as though I’m being tormented etc. I’m a tough lady and who just wants justice rather than being a wimp.
  • michfinch
    And don’t encourage this country to be a Nanny State “please be mindful of your tone”, you told me you were Epileptic, so I thought we had empathy. You have the “tone” not me!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,343 Disability Gamechanger
    Are you kidding me? I'm actually trying to help you, which is why i asked you the questions above......
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • michfinch
    Actually, from my viewpoint, you are very antagonistic. I’ve explained the situation, explained the system doesn’t know what to do with my situation, as experienced by my Partner and my Son and merely asked you, if the Authorities don’t know what to do with me, in your experienced opinion, where am I going wrong? Thank you.
  • poppy123456
    You call me antagonistic after i tried to help you, yet you still want my help. I'm sorry but i'm done here but i wish you good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    It's hard to understand exactly what you are asking UC pip or the system. 
  • Pipquestions2
    Pipquestions2 Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    You call me antagonistic after i tried to help you, yet you still want my help. I'm sorry but i'm done here but i wish you good luck.
     Do you know what the mental assessment entails? 

In my report it says they didn't carry out the physical assessment because it wasn't necessary (I've had this done before for ESA though if it's the same thing).  I'd agree with that but it also says

It says they done the mental assessment and I showed no problems with memory etc  which I agree with so no complaints , but I don't remember them doing the mental assessment at all . Is this done by asking innocent questions and assuming or is it more formal like the physical one? 

Not really the thread for.it but not worthy of a new thread either. Just a random question I've had for a while, just really wondering if it's done "innocently" or if he lied about doing that aswell

• Gerald
    Gerald Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    It's hard to understand exactly what you are asking UC pip or the system. 
    Hi Firefly123 all I was asking was I did this as its in the reports that were sent to them with my PIP Claim form from the Mental Health Team who come to see me at home  And my Specially Trained Counselor who I see weekly plus my medication and it still did not count in the eyes of the assessor so how much more do they need and that is how come I'm going to the tribunal after the report from my assessor it was a total joke has to the problems i have he  as asked if I can drive and read signs the problem is that I do not drive now as with my physical problems with disabilities which I tell the assessor about and suffer from severe depression and anxiety and in the reports but the assessor put know problems as I drove in the past so know mental health problems I just cannot work it out how they come to that decision or is it me being wrong about it. From Gerald    
  • poppy123456

In my report it says they didn't carry out the physical assessment because it wasn't necessary (I've had this done before for ESA though if it's the same thing).  I'd agree with that but it also says

It says they done the mental assessment and I showed no problems with memory etc  which I agree with so no complaints , but I don't remember them doing the mental assessment at all . Is this done by asking innocent questions and assuming or is it more formal like the physical one? 

Not really the thread for.it but not worthy of a new thread either. Just a random question I've had for a while, just really wondering if it's done "innocently" or if he lied about doing that aswell

The mental part can come from the questions they ask you. During my daughters assessment they asked her to add 2 numbers together. Then he asked her to spell a word backwards. The last one was a memory test, he said some words, 3/4 i think then asked her to repeat them. She couldn't do any of them. This was the only way they could do the mental part for her because i'm her appointee and answered all questions on her behalf, apart from those of course.
  • michfinch
    Unfortunately it’s not fit for purpose for Mental Health. I can add up, subtract, count backwards but ask me when my next Seizure will be and how it will affect my brain next time and how long it will take me to recover, I can’t....
  • Pipquestions2
    Pipquestions2 Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    edited February 2019

The mental part can come from the questions they ask you. During my daughters assessment they asked her to add 2 numbers together. Then he asked her to spell a word backwards. The last one was a memory test, he said some words, 3/4 i think then asked her to repeat them. She couldn't do any of them. This was the only way they could do the mental part for her because i'm her appointee and answered all questions on her behalf, apart from those of course.
    I would consider your daughter's more formal .that wasn't done with me. They never asked me to actually "do" anything. 

I'm assuming mine was either subtly done through innocent questions, or wasn't done at all and this was another thing lied about. However I don't have any troubles with writing, maths or memory so I'm not too bothered either way was just something I was wondering for a while. In hindsight he did ask me if I take my medication every day, to which I said only Creon(which I have to take before eating). I'm guessing he's assumed my memory is good enough if I remember to take that... So that at least answers one of them lol

Thanks 
  • michfinch
    Thank thank you for your explanation. I can, of course, spell backwards etc. I just don’t know when my next aura or seizure is going to be. My epilepsy is temporal lobe, I can, as I did, go for years seizure free. Stress and hormones are my triggers. I left a very stressful marriage even having a seizure on Christmas Day once! Now I had no warning that was going to happen! Anyway, medication tripled for Epilepsy and doubled now for Depression. 
  • michfinch
    Yes, thank you :-) I did write to Amber Rudd about the Not Fit for Purpose for Epileptics (as with many mental health conditions) Assessment. Hopefully my next Assessment coming up will be different.
  • Gerald
    Gerald Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    edited February 2019
    ilovecats said:
    The mental state examination is largely observed. The majority of people will not be asked anything. 

Cognitive testing is the only thing that is more formal, e.g serial 7’s, spell ‘world’ backwards, work out change and word recall tests. 

The assessor watched everything you do and makes a judgement on what they see.

With regards to Epilepsy that is more covered in condition history and Variabilty with regards to how it affects you, how many seizures, any triggers, any warnings, are the warnings useful, any history of status or multi fits, post ictal phases, recovery etc etc.

The you feel about your seizures is not covered in your mental state. 
    I have to say ilovecats that if you just work it out like that The assessor watched everything you do and makes a judgement on what they see and  
    The mental state examination is largely observed. The majority of people will not be asked anything.
    So you are saying that the assessor do not look at reports that have been sent in from a Mental Health Team who come to see me at home  And my Specially Trained Counselor who I see weekly plus my medication and it still do not count in the eyes of the assessor its just a judgement on what they see and so to the assessor and its just how you look well that's a top way to do a PIP Assessment 
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited February 2019
    Hi @michfinch

Please be aware of the tone and language you use on the community, we appreciate your support in the community. But let's be kind, as we all trying to keep the community as safe and supportive as possible.

If you have any questions or concerns please email us: community@scope.org.uk

Thank you.
  • michfinch
    I’m just trying to get answers to questions which are probing but at the end of the day, if I can assist people, they can assist me and some people think they know it all and aren’t helpful, then I’ll stick with the community where we are trying to help each other and ignore others who appear to want to dismiss new pieces of evidence to help. That’s all.
    I didn’t write the answer to ilovecats. 
    I’m here to help and upset a few apple carts by challenging the Govt depts, that’s all. It’s what I did when I was working, if I don’t agree with something, feel people, especially Epileptics, are being mistreated, I have a right to my opinion. 99.9% of the people on here are not antagonistic. Not everyone knows it all, so it’s good to communicate and have free flowing discussion.
    That is what I thought a forum was for? I’m learning all the time about how other people are being “treated”. I do use my previous PR skills and Contacts to endeavour to understand this benefit minefield. If I can help others, that gives me great satisfaction. Thank you for this forum.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.