Severe disability premium - any chance of getting it if brother lives with me? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium - any chance of getting it if brother lives with me?

Options

As I understand it, I am not eligible for Severe Disability Premium because my brother lives in the same house as me and does not meet any of the criteria to be discounted (my mum lives here too, it's her house, but she gets PIP daily living).

What I want to know is, is there any chance of getting SDP if I applied? I feel like my brother shouldn't count because he does not work or contribute anything to the household and we're essentially estranged – him being here does not help me in the slightest.

The other thing is, my mother has asked me to move out and I'm going through the process of applying to go on the housing register – but I can only move into supported housing, and it could be a long wait. Will that be taken into account?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

Unfortunately, because your brother lives in the house with you and your mum then you won't be entitled to the SDP. Part of the criteria for this is you live alone or classed as living alone. As your brother lives with you and he doesn't claim a qualifying benefit then you won't be entitled. Waiting to move into supported housing isn't counted, i'm afraid.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • theycallmepenguin
    theycallmepenguin Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    HI,

Unfortunately, because your brother lives in the house with you and your mum then you won't be entitled to the SDP. Part of the criteria for this is you live alone or classed as living alone. As your brother lives with you and he doesn't claim a qualifying benefit then you won't be entitled. Waiting to move into supported housing isn't counted, i'm afraid.

Hi, yes that's what I've read. But surely there's some kind of flexibility for special cases? As I say, me and my brother are essentially estranged - I'm not exaggerating when I say that if I fell down the stairs, he would just leave me there. I thought SDP was to help people who live independently with the extra costs involved - but I essentially do live independently, just in a house where my brother also lives.

It seems like such an unfair rule.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'm afraid there isn't. Infact when living with family the rules are even stricter. Rules when living with immediate family such as brother, sister, mother etc even if you all have separate tenancy agreements and all pay your share of the rent. Unless they all claim a qualifying benefit you won't be eligible to claim the SDP they are expected to look after you because they are your immediate family.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Immediate family, known as close relatives. See link for the decision makers guide here and scroll down to 44111.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.