Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Severe disability premium - any chance of getting it if brother lives with me?
As I understand it, I am not eligible for Severe Disability Premium because my brother lives in the same house as me and does not meet any of the criteria to be discounted (my mum lives here too, it's her house, but she gets PIP daily living).
What I want to know is, is there any chance of getting SDP if I applied? I feel like my brother shouldn't count because he does not work or contribute anything to the household and we're essentially estranged – him being here does not help me in the slightest.
The other thing is, my mother has asked me to move out and I'm going through the process of applying to go on the housing register – but I can only move into supported housing, and it could be a long wait. Will that be taken into account?
- 55.3K All Categories
- 10.8K Start here and say hello!
- 5.3K Coffee lounge
- 4.1K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.6K Research and opportunities
- 160 Community updates
- 12.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 840 Work and employment
- 600 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1.1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 302 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 269 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 22.3K Talk about money
- 2.3K Benefits and financial support
- 4.5K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.8K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.7K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.4K Cerebral palsy
- 705 Chronic pain and pain management
- 718 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 774 Autism and neurodiversity
- 952 Mental health and wellbeing
- 314 Sensory impairments
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.