What are the Health and Safety implications of being classed as fit for work from ESA/PiP - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are the Health and Safety implications of being classed as fit for work from ESA/PiP

Options
13»

Comments

• Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    Options
    You will still have to go to the assessment at the appointed time so whatever you do, do not miss it. When you get to the assessment centre, if you are seen by a HCP who is a nurse or physio, say no thanks, I want to be assessed by a doctor. If there isn't a doctor on duty on the day, they will have to make a new appointment for you.  

They did this with me, then conned me into being assessed by a physio when I went back a second time. It was my own fault, I should have made them make me another appointment to be seen by a doctor. I am sure I would still be on ESA if I did that. So don't let them fob you off like they did with me, they have to provide a doctor to assess you.  
  • michfinch
    michfinch Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Options
    I’ve been treated very shabbily because of my worsening Epilepsy and memory. I should be on a higher rate of UC because I’m disabled and supply monthly Fit Notes.
    My Work Coach will open his mail tomorrow to a torrent of emails from me.... I’m fuming and that causes me to have Fits.
  • Benistmonk
    Options
    Hopefully it will all go well for you, but I would insist on being seen by a doctor. They will try to avoid this like they did with me, I gave in because I couldn't be bothered going back to the assessment centre for a third time, I wish now I had told them to make me another appointment, i should have kept doing that until I was seen by a doctor.  
    The upside is, you will still be on ESA while this is going on, the downside is having to attend the assessment centre every 2 or 3 weeks until you are finally seen by a doctor.

• michfinch
    Options
    Morning, I’ve asked for a Dr. The young girl asked 
    me what my condition is so I said Epilepsy.... computer said no, so I added Memory Loss and Depression and someone is now going to ring me back and I don’t have to go today. I’ve put all the notes on my on-line Journal. My poor Work Coach is going to open up to War and Peace this morning!
  • Benistmonk
    Options
    Well done, see what I mean about them trying to stop you from being assessed by a doctor, there is only one reason why they would do that, they are trying to fail as many people as they can to keep the DWP happy. They will probably do the same thing again, so don't let them talk you into being assessed by a nurse. As you have asked to be assessed by a doctor, according to the DWP, they have to agree to it.
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Options
    Wish I’d new that at my assessment 
  • Benistmonk
    Options
    Dotty123 said:
    Wish I’d new that at my assessment 

I only found out about it when I got the DMs response to my appeal, even though I specifically asked for a doctor, while they have doctors at the assessment centre, the DM made out it was simply luck of the draw and there was nothing underhand about the way my assessment was done. 
  • michfinch
    Options
    I’m listening to all you guys and what you’ve gone through/are going through. If you go on the MIND website, Epilepsy is not down as a Disability, however, under the Equality Act it is. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.