Crohns disease does this alassified a disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Crohns disease does this alassified a disability

cat_1311
cat_1311 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My reason for joining up is because I'm a little confused about whether or not I can say I have a legitimate disability, even though I am debilitated at my worst. 
Ive got Crohns disease and with that comes depression, autoimmune issues if not suppressed by injections every two weeks, extreme fatigue when I'm due to inject and as a result of the injection for a day or so. Most of the time its under control physically and symptomatically, but mentally it can be difficult to function on a daily basis at stressful times and if I've not been resting properly at busy times. 
Im really just hoping to find clarity i suppose as i appear healthy, happy and normal to most people most of the time. And i am happy really, not to make it seem that i cry into my pillow every night or dream of not being here etc. But there is pain and discomfort daily which because I'm used to it and medicate myself to cope with it, I dont always show the way I'm feeling outwardly. I just get on with it really. 
With all said I still am confused about classifying Crohns disease, the chronic condition as opposed to Crohns the acute condition during a flare up, as a disability. Id really appreciate any comments, stories, ideas or opinion on this and shall end my rant as of now hehe. 
Cat_1311,   :/<3
Xxx

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cat_1311 welcome to the community!

Disability/disabled appears to be one of those words with a variety of meanings. The way you describe, it comes across as you have an invisible illness. My opinion of the word disability is when a person is unable to carry out tasks by themselves because of an illness/condition, in regards to mobility, like myself, I require assistance and standing aids when moving so I would class myself as disabled.

I am sure many of our community members will Express their opinion too, soon.

Hope this has helped in some way :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @cat_1311   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join.

I consider you a valued member of our community. My friend @Ami2301 has given you a description of what is disability.

To give you reassurance have a look a round our website.

Please ask if we can help and advise on anything. Some one will know. A member of our community or a member of our team.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cat_1311, and a warm welcome to the community. Great to have you here!

A lot of people think that there's a 'register' for being disabled, when in fact there isn't. There's some more information on the NHS page about this.

As there is no longer a national register of disabled people, technically you don't need to register as disabled.

However, many local authorities do provide help and support for disabled people, so it's worth contacting your local authority to find out how they can help you.

I know it can be really tough to convey how you're feeling when you have an invisible impairment, and I hope you find some comfort in the comments above too. 

We have lots of members with Crohns and Colitis here on the community, so please do get involved. If we can be of any assistance, just let us know! 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @cat_1311 How are you today?  I hope your doing OK.

There is a Crohns and Colitis Website if that helps you.

https://www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk.

Helpline 0121 737 9931

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 9am to 5pm.

Thursday 9am to 1pm.

Hope that helps.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness