Girlfriend finally received Mandatory Reconsideration result - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Girlfriend finally received Mandatory Reconsideration result

Options
13»

Comments

• Kas854
    Kas854 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Not based on the actual diagnosis. Someone could be on their death bed and as long as they are up and about and seeing to be not struggling. PIP won't be awarded. Yet that person is probably struggling more than most that claim for the benefit.

Depends how it affects your girlfriend. For example: Can she walk no more than a few feet without being in pain? Is getting upstairs a problem? Is cooking for herself a problem? Example: Can't stand long enough to cook a basic meal. Things of that nature that warrant the criteria for PIP.

As said you could be on deaths door, diagnosis isn't important it's how you as a person struggle to function with the illnesses you have.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @PIPnewbie
    Have you been in touch with Crohns and Colitis UK? They have a lot of information and support maybe you dont need them for the PIP issue but it might help your partner to speak to others in a similar situation?
    I have ulcerative colitis and a permanent ostomy bag so I certainly sympathise with what she is going through, and it seems like you are a wonderful support for her.  
    I volunteer with my local Crohns and Colitis UK group so it might be worth you looking to see if you have one that covers your area? We run coffee mornings and events where people who have the conditions and their partners and families can attend to chat and support one another.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can't compare 2 people when it comes to PIP because it's not awarded based on a diagnosis. It's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

I really do advise you to get further advice and support with the Tribunal process. I know she's requesting the Tribunal but the wait could be as long as a year and it's never too late to get help, advice and support.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • PIPnewbie
    PIPnewbie Community member Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    I think by this point I get that it's not the diagnoses, but like I said, her interviewer noticed her lifting the lid of a squash bottle I unscrewed for her, and rested on the tip of the bottle, and it had like a cup full of squash in it, and he used that to claim that she was capable of everything.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I realise all of that is very frustrating but you need to concentrate on the reasons why the descriptors apply to her because that's what the Tribunal will be interested in, rather than what was said in the report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • PIPnewbie
    PIPnewbie Community member Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    Yeah I know and we've written that in the form and sent it to Tribunal.  Now we wait...

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.