Housing Benefit and rent increase? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing Benefit and rent increase?

exdvr
exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
Do I have to reapply for Housing Benefit when my housing association rent goes up or is the benefit adjusted automatically?  Any advice most welcome thanks.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

Comments

• Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Hi exdvr

My advice would be yes.

Your Housing Association 'may' inform your council about the increase, but if you do so yourself you will have peace of mind whilst also covering yourself. You must inform the council of any changes in your circumstances. Furthermore, if the rent increase is higher than your Housing Benefit entitlement, you will be responsible to pay the landlord the balance, no matter how small or great. 

Please don't leave it with the 'hope' that it's being sorted out. It may not be, and so yes, tell the Housing Benefit department as soon as possible...
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Good advice, be proactive in your claiming don't assume  it will happen by its self.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    You don't need to re-apply because you're already claiming it. Your housing association will contact your local council automatically when there's a rent increase because letters are sent to them and yourself. There's no harm in contacting them to tell them about the increase though. Of course if the rent increase is more than your housing benefit entitlement then you'll need to pay the difference yourself.

I know this because i used to live in a housing association house and had rent increases myself.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    @exdvr
    Although I agree with @poppy123456 it is still a good idea to notify the council yourself. You can ask them at the same time for a letter of confirmation of the exact amount of Housing Benefit they are paying you. This document could always come in handy for future purposes.

The above is more important if the council are paying your Housing Benefit directly to the landlord. Again for peace of mind. 

Also, bare in mind that you will only know when or if your landlord has notified the Council of the increase when your receive a letter from Housing Benefit. If you receive no such letter, then they haven't been told!

If the housing association or any other landlord has notified You of an increase in rent, they are not obliged to notify the council. However, your Tenancy Agreement should state if or when any % will increase and/or following any significant repairs or modernisations to the property. Ordinarily, your Landlord must give you a reason and in a timely manner why the increase is being applied.

If you consider the increase to be substantial you can ask for a Fair Rent Officer (from the council) to inspect your property and their findings will establish whether the increase is justified or not. 

I'm trying not to complicate things here, but I still maintain that in most instances it is best for you, the Tenant, to notify Housing Benefit of ANY changes in your circumstances. It will hold you in good stead if you do, and prevent any confusion or discrepancies later which could also be at your own costly expense.  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Which is why i said there's no harm in contacting your local council to tell them there's been a rent increase.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness