About to transfer from DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

About to transfer from DLA to PIP

brad72
brad72 Community member Posts: 20 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone, just a quick question, i suffer from uncontolled epilepsy and was placed in the support group of esa after a reconsideration. My question is they changed there decision becouse of needing cpr twice and put in intensive care. Now i have been told i have got to transfer from dla to pip, i wonder if i should send this evidence off with my pip form as its nearly 3 years old. Also i have just come out of hospital today after being in hdu for two days. Just wondering if its worth sending all this evidence for pip, i do all so suffer from mental health conditions aswell for which ive been assessed as having mild to severe depression. And also is it worth putting on my form that ive had a walk in shower put in by my local counil.

Comments

• teejays1617
    teejays1617 Community member Posts: 92 Courageous
    Hi Brad ,WELCOME. In my personal opinion I would send in the extra evidence with your PIP
    I  sent quite a lot of extra evidence about my disabilities and my PIP was awarded
    until 2024
    Sorry to hear about your epilepsy 
    Did you see the programme about Don and Steph off Goggle Box. Their son is having prescribed CBD with THC and he is having far less fits?
  • brad72
    Thanks for your reply, only i worry that i will score no points at all, as i have heard how difficult it is for people who suffer from epilepsy to get this benefit, and do i mention my walk in shower as not sure if its classed as an aid or wether it will go against me.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @brad72   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

In response to your questions on PIP we have lots on our website.  There will be members of our community or a member of our team may be able to give you some answers.

Also speak to CAB for further advice and information. Especially form filling in.

Something to consider.

We are friendly, care and share. Please ask if we can help some one will know.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adam_Alumni
    Adam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 164 Pioneering
    Hi @brad72

Try not to worry to much, Scope has some useful information regarding PIP including:

Preparing for your PIP assessment

Personal Independence Payment

Tips for completing your PIP form

I have also placed your post in the PIP section where you will get further advice.

Lastly, I would advise you to provide as much evidence as possible.

I wish you the best outcome.

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi brad

A walk in shower is not classed as an aid but the reason that you had it put in might be relevant

4. Washing and bathing.
    a. Can wash and bathe unaided.  0 points.
    b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to wash or bathe.  2 points.
    c. Needs supervision or prompting to be able to wash or bathe.  2 points.
    d. Needs assistance to be able to wash either their hair or body below the waist.  2 points.
    e. Needs assistance to be able to get in or out of a bath or shower.  3 points.
    f. Needs assistance to be able to wash their body between the shoulders and waist.  4 points.
    g. Cannot wash and bathe at all and needs another person to wash their entire body.  8 points.

Epilepsy is a marked example of a fluctuating condition where an individual can have no functional limitation one minute and considerable limitation the next. Assessment should be based on the impact this causes.

Key to assessing individuals with epilepsy is the consideration of risk. Within each activity, the relevant descriptor should apply to a person with epilepsy if there is evidence that a serious adverse event is likely to occur if the person carried out the activity in that descriptor. It is essential to consider the likely effects of any seizure – type and frequency of fit, associated behaviour, the post-ictal phase and whether there is likely to be sufficient warning to mitigate any risk of danger.

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • brad72
    Thanks for your replies, ive seen a psychiatrist and hes increased my antidepressants, and also written me a letter explaining that i have moderate to severe depressive disorder.                 And how its having an effect on my epilepsy, i was also put into intensive care about 3 years ago after having cpr twice and going into status epilepticus.                                My epilepsy nurse has also written me a letter explaining that i can can go into status anytime and she has proscribed an emergancy medication for my partner if she is ever with me to administer if i go into staus again. And i only came out of hospital 2 days ago after being admitted for status again but was put on the high independence unit until fully recovered. Also is incontinence taken into consideration when i have a seizure becouse i am incontinent all the time. Thanks.
  • brad72
    Thanks for your advice, i have actually already been referred for assesment for incontinance pads through my gp surgery as they have told me i will probably get them free. I would probably wear them when i go out as i feel so embarrassed and i normaly where dark clothes to try to hide the fact ive had an accident. This happens like i say everday, also would you happen to know if my careline is considerd as it has been used so many times to receive medical help as i live alone.                   I also recently had a key safe fitted outside my front door with a code on incase the emergancy services need to gain entry, i have all paperwork to confirm this thanks.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.