Work capability assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work capability assessment

bevvy1966
bevvy1966 Community member Posts: 77 Connected
Hi I am pleased to say I have just been awarded for me to go into the support group..and that they will send a letter within seven days... to say how much back pay I will get.. but now they say any back pay may go towards any debts I have with them.. well of course im in debt with them, because of a advance loan and a budget loan , that I had to get to survive.. but before they have awarded I go in the support group, they are now saying I have to pay 46.00 and 32 towards a crisis loan I had years ago... will they take the full debt of me. I have been on the sick since nov 14th last yr

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news. Yes they can take any debt you owe from any backdated money you receive.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bevvy1966
    Ok, but will they take all that I owe, it would be nice to get something has I have struggled so long.. but im just gratefull of the extra money.. least ill be able to have a decent meal, been struggling so much witj my sugar levels it's awful.. I have diabetes type two but I feel so ill with at the monent.  Gt tp see my diabetic nurse on Thursday and have my bloods done  Monday
  • bevvy1966
    Also I want to thank you for your support whilst I was going through this with benefits.. very much appreciated.. thank you
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    I really don't know if they will take it all, it depends on how much back pay you have and how much you owe them. You're very welcome. I'm glad to hear you got the right decision.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    bevvy1966, you can ask DWP debt management about paying back more slowly. The £46.67 per month is the maximum deduction for a budgeting advance in your circumstances; it may be possible to pay more slowly, but it will depend on how much advance you took in the first place.

The crisis loan is hard to advise on because you probably don't remember how much it was when you had it? Or whether you'd already paid some of it back.

It's often worth ringing them just to see what they can do. As regards the back pay, if you'd prefer to pay back more slowly and not have the back pay set against the whole amount you owe them, you can always ask. Bear in mind that if the back pay is used to wipe out even some of the same debts, your UC is going to increase because you won't have the current deductions (or they won't be as high) AND you'll be getting the limited capability for work (support group) element too, which is quite high.

It is often worth calling debt management though to check. And get help if you need to, as sometimes other debts turn up (eg tax credits overpayments from years ago), and are worth checking if possible to make sure they are accurate.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• bevvy1966
    Thank you for that.. would it be worth leaving a message on my journal or to contact u credit directly

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.