Popular myths and misinformation when claiming PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Popular myths and misinformation when claiming PIP

CockneyRebel
CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
The internet is a wonderful thing but not everything you read is correct

often heard

Most claims are refused first time and go to appeal
Most claims are awarded first time but we never hear about them

HCP's are paid bonuses to fail claimants
HCP's do not have any incentive to fail a claimant, most will go out of their way to help

Always claim on the basis of your worst day
This is one of the worst things you can do. PIP is awarded on how you are for the majority of time. HCP's will match their observations with your PIP2 Form

I am sure you can think of more please feel free to add your own

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    @CockneyRebel thanks and so true. Another one...

I didn't send evidence because i was told that they contact your GP for this...
    No, they very rarely contact anyone for any evidence. The onus in on you to prove how your conditions affect you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Nools
    Nools Community member Posts: 21 Listener
    I took a list of my medication with me, but because it was handwritten by me rather than a printout from the doctors they recorded down that there was no evidence of medication. Oops.
  • Bevvy7andover
    Bevvy7andover Community member Posts: 38 Connected
    My last failed assessment the young lad wrote I could climb hills and walk over cobbles! could  drive everywhere on my own and was happy and bubbly in fact I was in tears I walk with crutches and sticks due to strokes I get driven to places I need to be couldn’t believe what he wrote- when I phoned to querie if it was me he was talking about they double checked!! I won my appeal at tribunal and now 18 months later I’m sat here waiting for hubby to finish work to take my car back to dealership whatever happened to 3 year checks?? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    My last failed assessment the young lad wrote I could climb hills and walk over cobbles! could  drive everywhere on my own and was happy and bubbly in fact I was in tears I walk with crutches and sticks due to strokes I get driven to places I need to be couldn’t believe what he wrote- when I phoned to querie if it was me he was talking about they double checked!! I won my appeal at tribunal and now 18 months later I’m sat here waiting for hubby to finish work to take my car back to dealership whatever happened to 3 year checks?? 
    Not everyone gets an award as long as 3 years. Some have reviews every year.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.