PIP not renewing until 2020 but things have gotten worse. Should I apply again? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP not renewing until 2020 but things have gotten worse. Should I apply again?

Options
2»

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your current award continues until a decision is made after the review.  The review might well mean you have to have a f2f.

Disability Rights UK site has a good guide to all aspects of PIP.

Criteria for mobility component:

Before you have to stop and rest for a few minutes because of pain or stiffness or fatigue, and outdoors using pavements and kerbs...

Up to 20m aided = 12 points (enhanced)

20m - 50m aided = 10 points (standard)

20m - 50m unaided = 8 points (standard)
  • madquasimodo
    madquasimodo Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Options
    I am in the same boat and have held off reporting for now, I had a injury to both arms and as a result have Ulnar nerve compression, the effect of this is hard to cope with, I have been offered an operation with around 60% chance of success, as I act as carer for my partner I fear if the operation was not successful I would not be able to help her, I have been going for physio but this has not helped, my treatment is still ongoing so I cant say exactly what level of restriction I will eventually have.

I know if I report it now they will give me a PIP2 F2F and it may well go badly, having had a few of these I know its down to the first few seconds, if the assessor takes issue with you for whatever reason that's it, I have checked and I "may" get more points.
    The big but is when filling in PIP2 online check lists honestly, my partner gets 60 points, I get 54 points which would mean full benefit for PIP and mobility, but when it goes to be checked by DWP they just say "We think you can" and the points just vanish.   
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For the points scoring with the descriptors a lot of people don't understand what the descriptors mean and very often score their self more than what's possible to score. This is the downfall when using the PIP self test online. This link will give you more understanding of what the descriptors mean.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • madquasimodo
    Options
    After having a few F2F and spending a lot of time at the CAB (who were useless more of that later) checking Turn2Us and all the online help I think I have some idea, I give you 2 examples.

1 SWMBO had a microvascular decompression for a hemi facial spasm, sadly it went wrong, she now has 100 Vestibular failure on the right and partial on the left, meaning her balance is gone, walks to left, over compensates turns to right, brain say left, walking like someone who is drunk as a skunk, cant stand without aid cant twist left or right without severe dizziness/vertigo, cant bend down or reach up tilting head she falls over.
    She cannot safely or repeatedly take a pan of the hob, either with or with walking frame, cannot take anything from the oven with getting dizzy to the point of falling over. so Descriptor E or F which would you say fits, because she scored 2 points

Activity 3  As part of her rehabilitation we have to do Gaze Stimulation and balance exercises for around 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day, we got hammered by rehabilitation for not going hard enough, apparently when doing the exercises the point where she fells sick and her head is spinning is the key to re-learning some balance, Sadly after doing this weekly and for a long time there has been no improvement, the nerve was damaged during the operation. she scored 0 points

Please tell me what scores do you thing were correct?

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm assuming that the first part you're asking about is preparing food? Carrying items around the kitchen or carrying food to where it will be eaten is not included in this activity.

This activity considers a claimant’s ability to prepare and cook a simple meal for one from fresh ingredients. It assesses ability to open packaging, peel and chop, serve food on to a plate and use a microwave oven or cooker hob to cook or heat food. Serving food means transferring food to a plate or bowl, it does not include presentation.

If an aid can reasonably be used you will always score points for using the aid even if they receive assistance. If an aid can't reasonably be used you need to give reasons why it's not safe for the aid to used. Give examples of what happened the last time and aid was used. 2 points will be scored if they think the aid can be reasonabley used and a perching stool is an aid for this activity.

Activity 3. Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition.

manage therapeutic activities that are carried out in a domestic setting that are prescribed or recommended by a registered doctor, nurse, pharmacist or health professional regulated by the Health Professions Council;

Without any of which their health is likely to deteriorate.

This activity only applies to medication or therapy delivered in the home environment i.e. where the claimant live.

Descriptor D. Between 3.5 and 7 hours per week if assistance, prompting or supervision is needed for this then 4 points maybe possible.

Descriptor E. between 7 and 14 hours per week if assistance, prompting or supervision is needed then it's 6 points.

@ilovecats i'm sure would be able to explain it far better than i can.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • madquasimodo
    Options
    Its strange to have such differing view of the situation, I guess it depends on where your thought lie, using the link given earlier I see it different.

• safely – Ms Z lacks a perception of danger and has previously cut and burnt herself. The HP should therefore conclude that descriptor A is not suitable for Ms Z as she cannot do so safely. Descriptor B, descriptor C and descriptor D are also not suitable as they do not remove the potential danger from using knives and hot pans. Descriptor E reflects the support that Ms Z needs in order to ensure her safety while cooking and is therefore the most suitable descriptor regarding safety

• to an acceptable standard – Ms Z is impatient and does not cook food for as long as it should be cooked. As a result the food is lukewarm and meat is not cooked through. The HP must consider whether that is an acceptable standard and in this case would conclude it is not. The HP should therefore conclude that descriptor A is not suitable because Ms Z is unable to do so to an acceptable standard. Descriptor B and descriptor C are also not suitable as they do not help Ms Z to complete the task to an acceptable standard. Descriptor D best describes how Ms Z is able to cook a meal to an acceptable standard and is therefore the most suitable descriptor regarding the standard

• repeatedly – this is satisfied as Ms Z is able to cook all of her meals

• in a reasonable time period – this is satisfied as Ms Z has not indicated it takes her an overly long time to cook her meals

2.2.30 In this case there are 2 possible descriptors – D and E. For a descriptor to apply, all aspects of reliability must be satisfied. As descriptor D does not describe a manner in which Ms Z is able to carry out the activity safely, the HP should select descriptor E.

My partner can perch with an aid but is not safe to turn either way or up or down, she cant peel potatoes and then put them on the hob or remove them when cooked as she needs an aid to balance, its hard to hold on to balance and then hold a pan as well, she only has two hands. I see your point, but...... you need to open packets, where do they come from? you need to dispose of the trimings where do they go, from your point "you can prepare food" but its not automatically brought to you.
    From my view would you ask a drunk to prepare your food and what would your kitchen be like after, thats how unsteady she is, the ESA medical did correctly assess her mobility, but PIP used a nurse who knew nothing of her condition.

The exercises are part of her rehabilitation and if I dont help her she has to go to hospital where the nearest Physo is.

One thing to note Dizzy is the only way to describe whats wrong but in no way explains whats going on, lights, noise, people anything can set it off its not vertigo but has the same symptoms, she was tested and BPPV and Vertigo are excluded its nerve damage thats the problem.
  • madquasimodo
    Options
    According to the F2F she has no cognitive/learning impairment, she suffers anxiety and depression, due to the problems she has, she can be absent minded and forget things, it is explained to me, as her head is spinning, the scenery is going round and she get disorientated with this and the noises in her head (tinnitus and popping sounds since her operation) she refuses sometimes to admit how bad she is as she says "I should be enjoying life not like this" after working 45 years this is not how she planned spending her time.

• Maverick2020
    Maverick2020 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hey guys, An interesting thread though sadly not updated recently. I wonder how anyone who had applied for a worsening condition got on with their review? I am in the same boat and it was a nightmare getting PIP combnined with the mover from incapacity benefits in 2014 where they threw my entire claim out as a matter of course, as they did for many people at the time. It was just an excuse for a cull and every suicide case was money saved as far as the state was concerned. I couldnt have managed with CAB intervention but I am in toital dread about rocking the boat.
  • Miss_Annmarie
    Miss_Annmarie Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    Options
    So last year after reading this thread, and all the naysayers saying they would just take what I had from me, (which was basic care on pip) I went called and told them I had got worse. The forms arrived and I went to CAB who helped me to fill them out, I posted them recorded.

Now my money stayed the same whilst I waited, no problem at all, It didn’t take long to get an assessment date, however it did take 16 weeks to get a decision (it was over the Christmas period), when I got the decision it was a positive one, not only did I keep the care component I was was also awarded the mobility lower rate, which was backdated to when I called. So for me a positive outcome.

hope this helps
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,132 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi@Miss Annmarie So glad to hear it worked out for you, glad you received what you were due ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.