This all just seems a bit strange to me? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

This all just seems a bit strange to me?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 34 Connected
edited March 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

That's a long post but i'll try to help.

When you went to the Tribunal you were awarded limited capability for work (WRAG for ESA) when did your claim for ESA first start? and were you in the WRAG before you were originally found fit for work with ESA?

are you under or over 25?

do you claim PIP or DLA, if so what award do you have? Do you live alone or with a partner?

As UC is paid monthly and ESA was paid every fortnight then it can look like you're receiving less money but it doesn't always work out like that when calculating the figures as a monthly figure.

Do you claim carers allowance for looking after someone?

When looking at your online journal does it tell you how much you receive for the housing element?

Limited capability for work for UC means you're in the work preparation group.  For your claimant commitment you'll be expected to take reasonable steps to prepare for work, such as attending a skills assessment, preparing a CV, participating in training or an employment programme, and undertaking work experience or a work placement. You are not expected to look for work at any point.

A sanction may be applied to your Universal Credit award if you fail to undertake work-related activity.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    You'll need to speak to your work coach regarding that. If you're in the LCW group then you can't be made to look for work but they can expect you to take steps to prepare for work.

I can't help with anything else unless you answer my questions above.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2019
  • poppy123456
    The group you were in for ESA which was the WRAG was a lot less stressful for those in this group and a lot of people would just receive a quick phone call for their work focused interview.

UC limited capability for work is different. It does depend on your work coach but as i have already advised, they can't make you look for work because you have a limited capability for work. They can request you prepare to work and to attend appointments/course etc. If you're not happy with your work coach then you can request a different one.

For the amount of money you receive the standard allowance for over 25's is £317.82 per month LCW because your ESA started before April 2017 is £126.11 is a total of £443.93. Then you'll receive the housing element on top of that, and for you this will be the 1 bedroom rate but you'll need to check what your local housing allowance is for your area to see how much you're entitled to for the housing element. This can be checked here. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/bedroomcalculator.aspx

• Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Hi poppy

But it says on my To do list 

"To-do

Take part in your work search review by phone

This is to check you're doing everything you can to find a job, or earn more."

Hi @Man@ManyQuestions

I know how confusing it is particularly if things haven't been explained in a way that we can understand. 

May I suggest that you log-in to your Universal Credit and go to your 'Journal' page. This will enable you to send a message to your Work Coach. Keep the message brief, but ask him/her to telephone you as you need some clarification about your payments & benefits. They will not mind you doing this at all.  

Your Work Coach is obliged to call you back or at least to confirm a time when they will. 

You'll then be able to explain things to them and hopefully get the right answers. 
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    You definitely won't receive £761.75 per month for UC. Even for ESA way back in 2011 that's more than you would have received. It's more than WRAG amount is now for claims that started before April 2017.

You need to do what i advised and check what your local housing allowance is for your area based on 1 bedroom because living alone that's what you'll be entitled to. Then add on the £443.93 that i advised above and that will be what you should be claiming each month.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2019
  • Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    My WRAG amount was, 135.00 pw HB, 101.00 pw ESA. for 4 weeks that came to 944.00 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2019
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2019
  • Benistmonk
    @ManyQuestions I am sorry to hear they are treating you so badly, this is the real face of UC, it doesn't make people who are ill better off. If anything it is threatening their very existence. If I were you, I would seriously consider contacting Watchdog or some branch of the media to expose this evil regime that attacks the most vulnerable people in our society.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2019
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    You should seek trained advice for a full benefits check from an advice agency near you, CAB or similar
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • [Deleted User]
  • Benistmonk
    @ManyQuestions I have a stalker on here who keeps correcting me so I can't say too much about the government on here except to say, they swear blind UC is helping everyone. Of course we know that is not true. 
  • poppy123456
    I called the Universal Credit helpline ta couple of days ago and asked how much I would get every month and they said this:

"£317.82 standard allowance plus £334.26 for rent /£652 a month "

I forgot that I had written this down on my computer notepad and I just found it a few minutes ago.
    This tells me that they are not paying you the extra £126 per month for limited capability for work (LCW) element. As your claim for ESA started before April 2017 then you should be paid this extra element. You need to put a note on your online journal to ask them to add this element to your monthly payments.

Are you sending in sick notes?
  • [Deleted User]

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.