World Book Day 2019 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

World Book Day 2019

Antonia_Alumni
Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
edited March 2019 in Coffee lounge

When's the last time you picked up a really good book? If you can't recall, then you're probably not alone.

31% of us don't read in our free time, rising to 46% of young people aged between 16 to 24, according to a survey conducted by the Reading Agency.

With modern technology serving to distract us every minute of every day, it can be difficult to incorporate reading into our everyday activities.

But if you find yourself missing that new book smell or just want to reclaim that feeling of finishing a good novel, there's never been a better week to get back to basics.

You can read the full story on the Evening Standard website on how you can celebrate this World Book Day.

What was your favourite childhood book?

Did you read this to your children, if so what is their favourite character?

Are there any books you are reading now or just finished, that you would like to share with us?

Comments

• Deb_Alumni
    Deb_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 180 Pioneering
    edited March 2019
    I love World Book Day, although I must admit I don't miss dressing the kids up in book characters that was always a struggle.  My favourite book is Little Women, I love the story of a strong independent lady Beth, who protectively loves her family and the special relationship she has with her sisters. Little Women is a novel by American author Louise May Alcott originally published in two volumes in 1868 and 1869.

Such a powerful female empowerment book and the films are fabulous too.  If I was at school and dressing up as a character it would be Beth.
    Debbie
    Online Community Manager
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    My kids are big readers, so World Book Day's a real event in our house. It can be a little bit of a struggle to put together a costume that matches their imaginations, but this year my youngest daughter wanted to go as Hagrid, so that was simple enough. Certainly easier than the year she decided she wanted to go as Bulbasaur! :s

As a kid, my favourite books were Charlotte's Web and The Hobbit. We've read both books a couple of times now and my youngest daughter adores Wilbur from Charlotte's Web, while my eldest is pretty fond of Bombur from The Hobbit. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Gollum though and if we'd ever done World Book Day when I was at school, I'd have definitely wanted to go as him!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Thank you for sharing this with us @Deb_Scope and @Adrian_Scope :)

I loved most of Roald Dahl's books, especially Matilda. I had the glasses and my hair were in braids most of the time; so dressing up as Lavender was an easy choice. ;)

I am about to start reading a book called 'Successful Women, Think Differently' by a life coach called Valerie Burton.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2019
    This made me smile yesterday! 

Disability charities sign ‘The Snail and the Whale’ story for World Book Day

A group of organisations, including Family Fund, have created a video, using Makaton sign language, of children’s favourite, The Snail and the Whale, written by former children's laureate Julia Donaldson, author of The GruffaloStick Man and Room on the Broom.

https://youtu.be/Frlm9eAiXNk
  • Deb_Alumni
    Deb_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 180 Pioneering
    @Pippa_Scope that video is awesome, the children are super cute :) their little faces are so alive with the stories - love it 

Debbie
    Online Community Manager

Brightness