why does my91 yr old mum need a mobility assessment for to renew her Blue Badge? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

why does my91 yr old mum need a mobility assessment for to renew her Blue Badge?

Banditqueen12
Banditqueen12 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited March 2019 in Transport and travel
Hi I have a question about why my mum aged 91_needs a mobility assessment for to renew her Blue Badge, which she never did before?

She has several medical problems which make walking virtually impossible.  She has both kinds of severe arthritis, she is very unsteady on her feet and often has falls, she is very fragile and frail, can hardly stand, let alone walk, is in severe pain, she uses a stick and clings to both of us for support, she also uses a medical walker for support on the better days, but can't go far without stopping every few steps, she really struggling and still needs us to help her.  We have to help her in and out of car and most trips she has to wait in the car as she is feeling not good on her feet.  She fell on her back in December and has deteriorated since, has a lot of pain and now also memory problems.  She gave up her licence four years ago and has no car.  We drive her in our car, we have to park outside or it is too far and if no space, take mum in, put her on a seat and then park.  She needs help with everything.  She has arthritis in her legs, feet, both hands and arms and cannot grip anything.  She is very restricted and it is clearly seen that she has severe mobility problems, she also is crunching over and is unstable on her feet.

We took her walking aids, she was holding on to both of us when she had to do the renewal as she can't go online.  She was really struggling.  The woman doing the application was not listening to what we were saying and I am concerned she missed essential information.  My mum has full attendance allowance and we took that too and her medical stuff and medicine.  I just find it totally outrageous that a 91_year old has to go for a mobility medical assessment for to renew her Blue Badge.

Not only that but because they didn't send a renewal letter, we did it only a week ago as my husband has cancer treatments and we couldn't take her.  It is one week ago and it runs out on March 15th.  The assessment is on 26th March and Liverpool have it in a porter cabin in a multi story carpark.  She won't have a Badge as run out so can't park by the cabin so walking from car is impossible as too far.  A 91 year old in a cold and damp  and dangerous car park in the Winter, great!  She will find it very frightening and stressful and it's outrageous.  No, it's insane!  This isn't reasonable and she won't be able to cope.  My husband can't drive her as he is going into hospital four days before hand and will be in two days.  We may not be able to go.  They should do elderly assessment in the home.  This is wrong.

I have complained to the Council but don't know my rights and if I can get a home assessment or them to change their minds.  I am also disabled and have mental health problems.

What can I do?

Thanks.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Banditqueen12   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am sorry what you are going through especially your Mother.  I do not understand the situation like yourself mystified. No need for an assessment.  Should be given automatically.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members.

I am sure that some one will know the answers in our community . A member of our team or a member of our community.

One suggestion I have is to speak to AGEUK.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk.

Helpline 0800 055 6112

On the website a lot of advice and information. Might be useful to speak to some one there.

Have you spoken to your local MP  as well something to consider. He or she may be interested in supporting you with the issues you have.

Please ask if we can help with anything further. 

Please keep in touch and let the community know what happens.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Banditqueen12
    Thanks, that's very helpful.  We at least have some notice so I can call them on Monday.  Luciana Berger is quite good so I will contact her as well.

I don't think she needs an assessment either.  These people are insane.  Thanks again.

Cheers.
    BQ
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Banditqueen12 welcome to the community! Sorry to hear this, do let us know how you get on and if we can be of any further help to you :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Banditqueen12
    Cheers, going to make an appointment for her doctor tomorrow.  Mum is very stubborn.  She should have gone back to see him again after her fall, when he saw her a  couple, but won't go.  Now she wants to go.  My great Aunt who lives there was there to support us, so mum is going or he might actually come out, he often does.  Then I will have something to wave at them and let's hope common sense wins.  Thanks again.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck and keep us updated :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Banditqueen12
    Hi All, 

Update on my mum's blue badge drama.  We took her to the doctor on Monday and her doctor was very supportive.  He was flabbergasted.  He said he would do a letter which we are getting tomorrow. 

However, now we probably don't need it as they have already changed their mind.  They have sent another letter approving her Blue Badge so mum doesn't need the assessment, just a photo and £10 which we are sending over the weekend by email.

Thanks for your support. Hopefully next post will confirm her Blue Badge.  They must have got our complaint and over ruled the original decision.  Mum was quite upset when she went to the doctors.  She thought they wanted to take it off her.  We had to keep assuring her they were just idiots doing their robotic jobs, churning out assessments without checking the circumstances.  Now, let's hope its not long before her badge comes as it runs out tomorrow.

Thanks again. Cheers.????
  • gruber
    gruber Posts: 29 Listener
    Hi All, 

Update on my mum's blue badge drama.  We took her to the doctor on Monday and her doctor was very supportive.  He was flabbergasted.  He said he would do a letter which we are getting tomorrow. 

However, now we probably don't need it as they have already changed their mind.  They have sent another letter approving her Blue Badge so mum doesn't need the assessment, just a photo and £10 which we are sending over the weekend by email.

Thanks for your support. Hopefully next post will confirm her Blue Badge.  They must have got our complaint and over ruled the original decision.  Mum was quite upset when she went to the doctors.  She thought they wanted to take it off her.  We had to keep assuring her they were just idiots doing their robotic jobs, churning out assessments without checking the circumstances.  Now, let's hope its not long before her badge comes as it runs out tomorrow.

Thanks again. Cheers.????
    I know it's a while since you posted, and am so surprised that they let your mum off from having a walking assessment.
    My wife's ran out last August and I am now waiting for the decision for her 3rd attempt to get it renewed.
    She is 76 and riddled with Arthritis. She had a fall a week or so ago (one of many) but this time she has broken her big toe!
    She too has the day and night Attendance Allowance award which is indefinite.
    The previous two attempts of getting a renewal were a complete joke. The first refusal was because she borrowed our daughter's car which is quite low to the ground. The assessor said that if she can drive that type of car her mobility must be pretty good. She didn't have a walking test just drove in, got out, met the assessor and failed.
    The second time our son in law took her (same car as before) and she had the same assessor who said more or less the same - failed.
    This time I put her in a taxi (try using that as a reason).
    She had the same assessor once again who commented on the taxi asking if she is no longer able to drive. Oh yes my wife said, my husband put me in a taxi so that you can't turn me down for driving a car.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Best of luck to your wife @gruber, let us know when you hear the decision. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness