Pension question — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pension question

1965zulu
1965zulu Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi there
I look after my wife who has progressive
M.s
I claim carers,housing and income support.
I would like to take some money from my pension to get a car for my daughter to help me with my wife as now needs 24/7 care.i am worried that if I do this I will be excluded from benefits and would appreciate some advice   thanks

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @1965zulu, welcome to the community. Taking money from your pension will affect any means tested benefits you receive, such as housing and income support. Citizens Advice have some information on their What you can do with your pension pot page. I would also suggest you get some free independent advice from Pension Wise.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Anything over £6,000 will affect means tested benefits £1 for every £250 over that amount. £16,000 and over and you won't be entitled to any means tested benefits. You should get expert advice before doing anything.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    You could also phone Age UK helpline.

Many dealers will give five years interest free credit on new. car purchases.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.