Recording calls? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Recording calls?

Options
LindaA_6439_30
LindaA_6439_30 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I applied for Mandatory Reconsideration for PIP 5 weeks ago, I asked for the recording of my call, which I received. My problem is that only the first 4.51 minutes were recorded, when my call was transfered to the relevent department, the call ends.
My conversation was not recorded. But the DWP say ALL calls are recorded and they are not. What can I do about this.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @LindaA_6439_30 welcome to the community! Sorry to hear what has happened. I am unsure however members of our community may know and will be in contact soon. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Welcome to the community @LindaA_6439_30 :)
    I am sorry to hear about this, @poppy123456 do have any suggestions please? Thank you.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @LindaA_6439_30, I'm going to ask @BenefitsTrainingCo to have a look at this for you and see if they can advise you in anyway. You can of course make a formal complaint to the DWP about this and there is always the option of completing a Subject Access Request, which may be a course of action you can pursue if you exhaust other options.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    LindaA_6439_30LindaA_6439_30,

As Adrian suggests you could make a subject access request to the relevant bit of PIP. I'm not sure it is correct that all calls to DWP are recorded (some of course are for legal and training purposes, and this is what it says in the auto response you get when you ring PIP, but it states 'your call may be recorded', not that it will be).

Hopefully your MR request will be successful. If it isn't, the non-availability of part of your phone call will be relevant to the tribunal looking at your decision. The tribunal can make a direction asking for the DWP to supply, for example, any notes or records which were made on the day by the department to whom your call was passed. Anything which the department does hold about you is personal information and you have the right to see it (via a subject access request, as above), and/or, if you have to appeal, you can ask the tribunal to issue a direction insisting that the DWP provide information about that phone call.

If the phone call and what was said in it is crucial to your decision, and no recording is available, then the tribunal can decide what that means on the balance of probabilities. For example if you took notes during the phone call, that is evidence of what was said. Equally, the DWP may have some evidence at their end.

If there is any doubt that you requested an MR (I'm not sure if that is the issue) then you could try appealing without an MR notice, providing the tribunal with as much information as possible to prove that you did ask for one and that the DWP has considered your application. It is ultimately up to the tribunal to decide whether you have a right of appeal. This isn't easy to do but I mention it in case that is the problem.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.