Pip review award ended — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip review award ended

cherry83
cherry83 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have arthritis, fibromyalgia and nerve damage. I was awarded pip 2 years ago when I was diagnosed with arthritis on its own. Since then my condition has worsened been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and nerve damage.  Chronic pain constant neve issues, fatigue, leaves me unable to many of the pip descriptiors. I had my renewal assessment a few weeks ago and today I have been told they’ve took my pip off me completely scoring no points for anything. Stating the opposite to everything I said and everything that’s in my medical reports. They made the point I don’t have any involvement from anyone other than my GP which I don’t for the arthritis, fibromyalgia and nerve damage because I was put on medication and discharged back to my GP. I am awaiting to see a mental health nurse and an the orthopaedic clinic. But apparently that don’t count because it’s not happening right now? Which is stupid I can’t cobtrol the nhs waiting list can I! Also I’ve had aids from OT which they have ignored completely despite having the report on my first claim and again at renewal. I just don’t understand how I can go from getting standard daily living to nothing when I am far more impacted by my conditions now than I was when I first claimed. 
I’ve wrote a mandatory reconsideration, has anyone got any advice for me please? Before I send it? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

When writing the request you need to state where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies. Avoid mentioning any lies that may have been told in the report because DWP and a Tribunal won't be interested in any lies told.

Only 18% of MR decisions change so you may end up taking it to Tribunal. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

MR decisions can take anything up to 8 weeks, sometimes longer. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cherry83
    Can I question why my aids and adaptations were accepted in my first award? But completely ignored in my review? The OT gave me the aids and the council made some adaptations to my house that was around 2 years ago but of course nothing would be recent there as they don’t keep giving you new stuff every year do they? It not a case of my condition has improved because my conditions are degenerative except fibromyalgia. I just can’t see how they can give me zero points when I had a standard daily living award with much less medical evidence. My tablets have helped me but they’ve got their own big side affects which again impact on me being able to do the things on the descriptors. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Sometimes things just don't make sense. All you can do is request the MR then Tribunal if that fails and most do.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    cherry83 said:
    Can I question why my aids and adaptations were accepted in my first award? But completely ignored in my review? The OT gave me the aids and the council made some adaptations to my house that was around 2 years ago but of course nothing would be recent there as they don’t keep giving you new stuff every year do they? It not a case of my condition has improved because my conditions are degenerative except fibromyalgia. I just can’t see how they can give me zero points when I had a standard daily living award with much less medical evidence. My tablets have helped me but they’ve got their own big side affects which again impact on me being able to do the things on the descriptors. 
    One of the reasons as to why aids may not be counted is if the assessor is of the opinion that you have them as a choice and not as a need.

• cherry83
    twonker said:
    cherry83 said:
    One of the reasons as to why aids may not be counted is if the assessor is of the opinion that you have them as a choice and not as a need.

They are classed as a need from an occupational therapist. 
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    If that is the case then you should submit written evidence from the OT  who actually assessed you and determined that the aids were required.
  • cherry83
    ilovecats said:
    twonker said:
    If that is the case then you should submit written evidence from the OT  who actually assessed you and determined that the aids were required.
    Good advice. 

Unfortunately will the prevalent availability of cheap aids, anyone can buy anything and say an occupational therapist said they needed it. It is harder for people with fluctuating or invisible illnesses to prove things like aid requirement so OT reports are worth their weight in gold.
    Yes I have they had it the first time I got awarded then I submitted it again at review. Some aids were self purchased because although the OT recommended them they wouldn’t provide them for me. Like my cutlery and tipper kettle but all the other stuff the council fitted and provided. I understand some people fraud the system. I just don’t understand why my aids were accepted at my first claim then completely ignored at my review? Doesn’t make sense really. 
  • cherry83
    ilovecats said:
    cherry83 said:
    ilovecats said:
    twonker said:
    Good advice. 

Unfortunately will the prevalent availability of cheap aids, anyone can buy anything and say an occupational therapist said they needed it. It is harder for people with fluctuating or invisible illnesses to prove things like aid requirement so OT reports are worth their weight in gold.
    Yes I have they had it the first time I got awarded then I submitted it again at review. Some aids were self purchased because although the OT recommended them they wouldn’t provide them for me. Like my cutlery and tipper kettle but all the other stuff the council fitted and provided. I understand some people fraud the system. I just don’t understand why my aids were accepted at my first claim then completely ignored at my review? Doesn’t make sense really. 
    Perhaps the original assessor over scored you? It's not unheard of.
    Guidance changes over the years and in the last 18 months has got a lot stricter so perhaps the new assessor felt you demonstrated adequate capability to manage without.

Either way, if you disagree, focus on proving good evidence as to why you cannot do these things and submitting a well written MR. You never know what will happen. 
    Yeah I’ve written it now, I’ll be going to tribunal I think!
  • deejay2038
    deejay2038 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    edited March 2019
    Since yours was a renewal was this done by form filling or did an assessor come out? Or when you had the original assessment did he or she say your condition was unlikely to improve? If so, I would definitely bring that yp
  • deejay2038
    deejay2038 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Advise about the MR wait until after the weekend when you are less emotional and Irate. I had my decision a week ago but I waited as I knew I would not make a good job of it when so distraught.  I think my letter was compelling but you can never be sure. I decided to let all the inaccuracies go and focus on the descriptors I can't do and why. I can't wait if it went to appeal I would be forced into care so if that happens I need to find someone who can act for me. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.