Bedroom tax. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bedroom tax.

Nools
Nools Community member Posts: 21 Listener
Hello,
Any advice welcome.

I am currently having a very confusing time with my local council. I have recently had to contact them for the second time to let them know that I now have an extra bedroom and should be paying bedroom tax. I have had no response. I am becoming increasingly agitated and anxious about this situation, I just want to pay what I am supposed to and not end up in debt.

So, I called them and this is what I was told (I promise I didn't mishear her). 'Oh, because you are in the income related supported group (her actual words, she did say supported) we are paying all of your rent for you'. I asked what she meant but she just reiterated the same thing, I also asked if this was normal and she said yes. End of phone call. So now I am left confused, I have no idea what she meant.

I thought that the words 'income related and support (not supported) group related to ESA, which I do receive. But what does it have to do with housing benefit? If anything.

Thank you.

Comments

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.