Benefits, rent and council tax advice? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits, rent and council tax advice?

PatriciaM
PatriciaM Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, I'm in ESA support group, and receive standard rate Pip ( both elements). My son turns 18 in June and is either looking at an apprenticeship or starting work. If he starts work can anyone help me with what happens to my rent and council tax? I get maximum allowance atm. Thank you. 

Comments

• annedh
    annedh Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Hi Patricia M,
    There are currently so many changes going on with UC that it will depend on how much your son earns if he starts work. As far as I understand it that is. If he is in education he will be council tax exempt. So also depends on what type of aprentiships too. It's a mine field isn't it. 
  • PatriciaM
    Yes. ATM I'm not on UC either. I'm so stressed about it all.

The job would be circa £20k. Or the apprenticeship would be £10k.
    Thank you for your time :-) 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @PatriciaM Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

There will be members of our team or members of our community may be able to advise you.

Have a look around our website for anything further that may help you .

I would consider speaking to CAB as they have expertise and knowledge. Benefits can be complex and confusing.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • PatriciaM
    Thank you very much ?
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I have asked @BenefitsTrainingCo to take a look at your post.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you're claiming the daily living part of PIP then there will be no non dependent deductions for your housing benefit. See link and scroll down to exemptions from deductions https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/housing_benefit_deductions_when_living_with_non-dependants

For your council tax reduction if you're currently claiming the 25% single person discount then you'll lose this part. This is because you will no longer be the only person over the age of 18 living in your house.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi PatriciaM,

As has correctly been pointed out, if you are receiving the daily living part of PIP then no non-dependant deduction is made from your housing benefit.

Each local authority scheme is different so best to contact your local council to see what effect, if any, this will have on your council tax reduction. 

Regards,

Michael
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.