What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Benefits, rent and council tax advice?

PatriciaMPatriciaM Member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, I'm in ESA support group, and receive standard rate Pip ( both elements). My son turns 18 in June and is either looking at an apprenticeship or starting work. If he starts work can anyone help me with what happens to my rent and council tax? I get maximum allowance atm. Thank you. 


  • annedhannedh Member Posts: 12 Listener
    Hi Patricia M,
    There are currently so many changes going on with UC that it will depend on how much your son earns if he starts work. As far as I understand it that is. If he is in education he will be council tax exempt. So also depends on what type of aprentiships too. It's a mine field isn't it. 
  • PatriciaMPatriciaM Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Yes. ATM I'm not on UC either. I'm so stressed about it all.

    The job would be circa £20k. Or the apprenticeship would be £10k.
    Thank you for your time :-) 
  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger

    Hello @PatriciaM Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.

    I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

    There will be members of our team or members of our community may be able to advise you.

    Have a look around our website for anything further that may help you .

    I would consider speaking to CAB as they have expertise and knowledge. Benefits can be complex and confusing.

    Please take care.


    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • PatriciaMPatriciaM Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you very much 🤩
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,729 Disability Gamechanger
    I have asked @BenefitsTrainingCo to take a look at your post.
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    If you're claiming the daily living part of PIP then there will be no non dependent deductions for your housing benefit. See link and scroll down to exemptions from deductions https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/housing_benefit_deductions_when_living_with_non-dependants

    For your council tax reduction if you're currently claiming the 25% single person discount then you'll lose this part. This is because you will no longer be the only person over the age of 18 living in your house.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi PatriciaM,

    As has correctly been pointed out, if you are receiving the daily living part of PIP then no non-dependant deduction is made from your housing benefit.

    Each local authority scheme is different so best to contact your local council to see what effect, if any, this will have on your council tax reduction. 


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.