ESA advice — Scope | Disability forum

ESA advice

Good afternoon. 

I have just got back in contact with my estranged 17 year old daughter (18 next month) and i'm trying to get her back on track.

She has been diagnosed with Borderline IQ, developmental difficulties including social communication, impulsivity and inattention and depression her mental health has deteriorated massively and she has terrible paranoia (where everyone is out to get her) and social anxiety, I have made her an appointment with the GP to address these new issues. She applied for ESA 7th Feb 2018 and was put in the working group on the 24th August 2018 (social services helped her apparently) can I help her to appeal this as there is absolutely no way she could hold down a job at the minute, is it too late? She applied for PIP and was awarded 2 points but I don't know who went with her to her assessment and she can't remember going!!! 

any help would be gratefully received.



  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,708 Disability Gamechanger

    You really should get some expert face to face advice from either welfare rights or a law centre near you and they will help and advise you on the nest way to deal with the ESA claim.

    For PIP then if the decision was made in the last 13 months then you can request the Mandatory reconsideration. My advice is to speak to her social worker.
  • Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    Contact the social services, they are supposed to be looking after her welfare, a letter from them confirming her health issues can work wonders.
  • aebaa5
    aebaa5 Member Posts: 15 Listener
    Thanks for the replies. The social worker stopped taking her calls and when I phoned up to find out what's going on I was told they had discharged her from the service as there was nothing they could do to help her!!!!! They have been an absolute joke but that's for another thread! 
    Will have to do more research. 
  • miracle
    miracle Member Posts: 22 Connected
    Hi @aebaa5, How long has your daughter been like this?  Has she seen a hospital specialist?  I ask these questions, because she must have had a diagnosis, and therefor, somebody must know the full extent of her mental wellbeing. Sometimes, when a professional is asked for a report from the DWP, that professional might not have been thorough enough with the report. If this is the case, then it might be worth getting in touch with that professional, to explain why, your daughter is not capable of being in the Work Activity Group. They then might be able to give additional information, to support your daughters case. Keep us informed please, as there are many on this site, who are in exactly the same position.  Hope things go well for you.....Miracle
  • aebaa5
    aebaa5 Member Posts: 15 Listener
    We fought for 11 years for a diagnosis and some help for her, by the time this happened she was 16 and in a real bad place and ran away from us, because she was 16 she didn't have to come home but we tried to support her as much as she would allow. She was diagnosed by cyps but due to poor mental health she stopped engaging with them and they discharged her from their services. She had a social worker but she might as well have had thin air as she didn't help her at all. They placed her in a hostel where she met some terrible people and as much as I tried to push social services to help the more they told me it's her choice! She has finally asked her family for help so this is where I'm at. She has GP appointment this afternoon to see what they can offer.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.