I am new to the community — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am new to the community

Heather87
Heather87 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi I am new to the community. I have Chiari Malformation and borderline personality disorder as well as depression, and anxiety. 

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @Heather87 Welcome to the community, please have a read through our guidelines about our community and please feel free to join our recent discussions.

You may be interested in our mental health discussions and our invisible impairments discussions.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @Heather87 Welcome to the community :). How are you doing today?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Heather87
    Hi @Adrian_Scope, Thank you for the welcome. I am not doing too good. I seem to be constantly drawn into my siblings marriage problems and all the stress is really getting me down. I have started to have suicidal feelings again, but thankfully my husband has been helping me to get through this time. I don't know who I am, and I feel so confused and lost. I feel like I am letting my family down if |I don't help them when they have problems or come to me for advice, and I just can't say no, even for my health. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Heather87 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining the community. So sorry to hear you are not too good.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

I myself have a mental health issues . Mainly anxiety and depression plus a physical disability.

Please may I advise are you receiving any support for your mental health issues.?

I used this charity last time.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Might be useful to consider contacting them.  They can help with your wellbeing and anything else surrounding your mental health.

Have coping methods and strategies . Get floating support or an outreach worker.

They also take people with other conditions, disabilities who have mental health . Often can guide and advise on sign posting and information, additional support.

We are here as a community to be supportive.

Listen anytime you want to.

If I can help please ask.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited March 2019
    Hello @Heather87,
    Families can put a lot of pressure on us can't they? I'm sure most of us can relate to not being able to say no.
    I'm sorry you've been feeling so much stress and anxiety about all this and of course we're happy to try and support you in any way we can. I'm glad your husband has been helping you, but as a member of our community you are important to us, so if you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you try to discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please get in touch with the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org
    You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/suicidal-feelings/how-can-i-help-myself/ and of course if you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.
    Sincerely,
    Adrian
    Scope Community

Community Manager
    Scope
  • Heather87
    Hi @Adrian_Scope and @thespiceman,

Thank you both so much for your comments. I will give those places mentioned by you both a try. I am feeling much more better today although I am in severe pain with my physical disability. I have Chiari Malformation. I can hear you asking what is that, so I will tell you.

Chiari malformation type 1 is a structural abnormality of the cerebellum, the part of the brain that controls balance, and the skull. The malformation occurs when the lower part of the cerebellum extends below the foramen magnum (the large hole at the base of the skull which allows passage of the spinal cord), without involving the brainstem. Normally, only the spinal cord passes through the foramen magnum. Type 1 is the most common type of Chiari malformation and may not cause any symptoms. It is usually first noticed in adolescence or adulthood, often by accident during an examination for another condition. Symptoms, when present, may include headache, neck pain, unsteady gait, poor hand coordination, numbness and tingling of the hands and feet, dizziness, difficulty swallowing, and vision and speech problems. Depending on the symptoms present and severity, some individuals may not require treatment while others may require pain medications or surgery.

These are some of the symptoms I have:

Medical TermsOther Names
    Learn More:
    HPO ID

Diplopia
    Double vision

Dysarthria
    Difficulty articulating speech
    Dysphagia
    Poor swallowing

Swallowing difficulties
    Swallowing difficulty

Gait ataxia
    Inability to coordinate movements when walking

Headache
    Headaches
    Hearing impairment

Deafness
    Hearing defect

Limb muscle weakness
    Limb weakness

Lower limb hyperreflexia
    Overactive lower leg reflex

Lower limb spasticity0002061 

Neck pain0030833 

Nystagmus
    Involuntary, rapid, rhythmic eye movements
    Paresthesia

Pins and needles feeling
    Tingling

Photophobia
    Extreme sensitivity of the eyes to light
    Light hypersensitivity

Tinnitus
    Ringing in ears
    Ringing in the ears

Unsteady gait
    Unsteady walk

Urinary incontinence
    Loss of bladder control

Vertigo
    Dizzy spell

Sorry for the long post, but it is a very complex thing to explain simply. I am also in extreme pain on a daily basis, despite being on 20mg of MST morning and night, 10mg of Amitriptyline at night, and the use of oramorph along with anaesthetic plasters throughout the day. 

Kind regards

Heather
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @Heather87, no need to apologise at all and thank you for explaining your symptoms. Have you thought about finding support for managing your pain? You might have some luck with the British Pain Society.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Heather87
    Hi @Adrian_Scope,

Thank you for that I will look into that. Hope your day is going good. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Heather87 Thank you for your reply. Thank you for sharing with the community.

You are not alone, many of our community do understand.

We are here to help and be supportive. Most of important of all be a friend to listen and give you any time you wish to.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness