Refused my PIP - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refused my PIP

Options
13»

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    @Singing I agree with you about assessors not being qualified or anyone for that matter to know whether a person can or cannot do things using their brain. I had a bad car accident ending upside down. The roof of my car caved in and hit my head with tremendous force. I noticed a marked difference in the before and after of my ability to focus on things, memory was also affected. I can focus well on one thing at a time but if more than one is presented to me I get confused and need someone to help me get out of that situation. However I love knitting and make up my own patterns. I can also write well as again it's something i enjoyed at school and still do but if I'm in a social situation I can't concentrate enough to carry on a conversation and need help by way of prompting. Hand writing is very difficult due to nerve damage but I can type on a computer. An assessor would just say because I knit, read and write well and can use a computer I have no cognitive disability. How on earth in even an hour long interview can they assess the workings of the brain. I have never had any tests done because when I asked my GP about being tested, knowing I have an acute health anxiety, she gave 2 reasons why this wasn't a good idea. First that the negative effect of knowing I had a cognitive impairment would out way any benefit and if I did there is no treatment or cure available. So without evidence I'm totally reliant on assessors believing what I put on my claim form and tell them at the assessment. Of course, needless to say, they don't. 
  • Singing
    Singing Community member Posts: 135 Courageous
    Options
    Yeah, wow, thanks for sharing, the brain is an incredible thing ! X lots of love ? 
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Singing said:
    I live in the countryside 
    As do I. There is supposed to be a speed limit through the village which is regularly exceeded by most drivers who think 50 mph is acceptable. Then there are the cows in the middle of the road twice a day which causes chaos. Difficulty in parking due to the narrow road outside the shop. It's just as nerve racking as a motorway never knowing if some idiot decides to cut the corner on the blind bend in the road.

Certainly not relaxing and there are only 530 of us that live here!
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I remember the days when driving was a treat. On a sunday afternoon cranking up the old ford pop and having a ride out to the countryside. That was a simple pleasure. Later in life I I owned American cars and custom painted classics, which we proudly went cruising up and down the sea front. Now driving is more a chore than a pleasure, if I do manage to take a trip out to some beauty spot I cannot get out and enjoy a walk.
    Opps sorry got a bit nostalgic
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Options
    I remember the days when driving was a treat. On a sunday afternoon cranking up the old ford pop and having a ride out to the countryside. 
    We must come from the same era when driving was a pleasure, No potholes, or poorly maintained roads. In fact in those days the road tax collected was used entirely to maintain and build new roads. Speed limits? What speed limits. The new motorways had no speed limit. Mind you with my old Ford Pop, 3 speed non synchromesh gearbox you could only get 60 mph at best downhill with the wind behind you. Going uphill in the rain caused the wiper (and I say wiper - driver only) slowed down to a near stop. You had to take your foot off the accelerator to get it to work faster.

Those were the days of freedom on the roads with little or no traffic to worry about.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.