New back dated claim — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New back dated claim

Andy1234
Andy1234 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
My girlfriend won her appeal for pip benefits on 18th December back dated to November 2017. It took 6 weeks to get the payment then they came to do a home visit for esa, can I back date my claim for carers allowance to November 2017???

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Providing you were looking after her for at least 35 hours per week and weren't earning more than the maximum amount at the time then yes you can claim it. You must claim it within 3 months of the Tribunal decision.

If you're claiming ESA as a couple since that sate then it will be the carers element that you will receive backdated to that date, not the full carers allowance amount.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Andy1234
    Is that just the £36 extra per week we will get then as she gets the highest amount of esa and pips and we do claim as a couple 
  • poppy123456
    Yes that's correct. The carers allowance is deducted £1 for £1 from the ESA and then premium is added (£36 per week from April 2018, less in previous years) then carers allowance pay you separately. Claim online carers allowance.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Andy1234
    I have filled in the carers allowance claim form but just wondering what checks they do, will I be interviewed or questioned about anything and does it matter that we have had 3 short holidays in 3 years 
  • poppy123456
    No, they won't interview you. As you're claiming ESA as a couple then they will contact DWP, other than that there's no other checks. Holidays won't make any difference to your claim. Carers allowance can take 8-12 weeks depending on backlog.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.