Sitting problems - any thoughts about how to get back to work? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sitting problems - any thoughts about how to get back to work?

Options
Gingercorn
Gingercorn Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2019 in Work and employment
Hi everyone, 

I’m at my wits end, and would love a bit of group knowledge from you wise, wonderful people! 

Since the the beginning of February I’ve been unable to sit upright without extensive pain. It’s a hip problem yet undetermined, managed only slightly with painkillers for short periods of time. I have hypermobility spectrum disorder with shoulders and hands also quite badly affected. 

My job, unfortunately, is a desk job, and in spite of trying, I can’t sit for longer than half an hour without sweating and shaking from the pain. After this the pain is too much to return to that position. 

I really, really want to get back to work. I’m incredibly frustrated! 

Has anyone else been in a similar predicament and found a chair, position, device, solution, anything (!) that has made working at a computer manageable for longer periods of time. An hour or two would be great! 

Budget isnt an issue. Throw any ideas at me! 

Thanks in advance :) 

Ginger

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 
    I would suggest you discuss with your HR dept about being referred to occupational health and have a workstation assessment completed they can then advise on suitable equipment required. 
  • Gingercorn
    Gingercorn Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Thanks Janer :)

i should have mentioned that we’re currently going through this process. I have a few adjustments already (ergonomic chair, keyboard, mouse, flexible working arrangements - my workplace is superb!) 

its just not quite managing the problem at the moment, and it’d be good to hear what others have done too, so I can maybe suggest things if they aren’t proposed during the OH process. 

Thanks! 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Gingercorn
    I have moved your post to the Ask an employment advisor category where I hope someone from the Support to Work team can offer some advice.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    Can you get a standing desk?
  • Guy_Scope
    Guy_Scope Scope Posts: 26 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @Gingercorn

It sounds like your workplace is being very supportive, a Standing desk does sound like a good option, you might also want to contact access to work as they might be able to suggest other solutions/adjustments that your company's occupation health dept. https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/access-to-work-grant-scheme
    Guy
    Employment Team Manager
    Scope's Support To Work

Brightness