Sitting problems - any thoughts about how to get back to work? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sitting problems - any thoughts about how to get back to work?

Options
Gingercorn
Gingercorn Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2019 in Work and employment
Hi everyone, 

I’m at my wits end, and would love a bit of group knowledge from you wise, wonderful people! 

Since the the beginning of February I’ve been unable to sit upright without extensive pain. It’s a hip problem yet undetermined, managed only slightly with painkillers for short periods of time. I have hypermobility spectrum disorder with shoulders and hands also quite badly affected. 

My job, unfortunately, is a desk job, and in spite of trying, I can’t sit for longer than half an hour without sweating and shaking from the pain. After this the pain is too much to return to that position. 

I really, really want to get back to work. I’m incredibly frustrated! 

Has anyone else been in a similar predicament and found a chair, position, device, solution, anything (!) that has made working at a computer manageable for longer periods of time. An hour or two would be great! 

Budget isnt an issue. Throw any ideas at me! 

Thanks in advance :) 

Ginger

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 
    I would suggest you discuss with your HR dept about being referred to occupational health and have a workstation assessment completed they can then advise on suitable equipment required. 
  • Gingercorn
    Gingercorn Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Thanks Janer :)

i should have mentioned that we’re currently going through this process. I have a few adjustments already (ergonomic chair, keyboard, mouse, flexible working arrangements - my workplace is superb!) 

its just not quite managing the problem at the moment, and it’d be good to hear what others have done too, so I can maybe suggest things if they aren’t proposed during the OH process. 

Thanks! 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Gingercorn
    I have moved your post to the Ask an employment advisor category where I hope someone from the Support to Work team can offer some advice.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    Can you get a standing desk?
  • Guy_Scope
    Guy_Scope Scope Posts: 26 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @Gingercorn

It sounds like your workplace is being very supportive, a Standing desk does sound like a good option, you might also want to contact access to work as they might be able to suggest other solutions/adjustments that your company's occupation health dept. https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/access-to-work-grant-scheme
    Guy
    Employment Team Manager
    Scope's Support To Work

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.