Universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit

Murphy1926
Murphy1926 Community member Posts: 36 Listener
edited March 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I'm on esa in support group but I don't get sdp,I get dla higher mobility.just been offered sheltered accommodation and was moving for support from my son but will be going to another authority been told I will lose money going over to universal credit.any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Murphy1926 I am unsure, however some of our community members may know and will be in contact soon to offer advice. Let us know if you need any further help :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Murphy1926
    Thank you ami,been told will lose 97 pound plus will have to pay 11.30 towards the rent in total 124 a month.so basically I'm trapped and cannot move.plus the stress of having to claim uc.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I am really sorry to hear this, I hope someone replies soon who can help you!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Murphy1926
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited March 2019
    Hi @Murphy1926, it looks like this has been answered here: https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/224977
    But if you have any other questions or you need any more clarification, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Your questions were previously answered here in this long thread https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/224977#Comment_224977

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Aran
    Aran Community member Posts: 12 Courageous
    Hi @Murphy1926 and welcome im one of the new Community Champions for Scope don't know if this is any help but take a look https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit&ved=2ahUKEwjSyNbv16LhAhXFQxUIHbsWDRUQFjAPegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2V4CZeIa90WZCZk8tIkxz5 take care hope things get sorted ☺
  • Murphy1926
    Thank you.i still don't understand  the limited capability  for work related rate there is two 126 and 328 but it dosent say which one i would qualify for.it was mention that the higher rate was for contribution  based
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you.i still don't understand  the limited capability  for work related rate there is two 126 and 328 but it dosent say which one i would qualify for.it was mention that the higher rate was for contribution  based
    You wouldn't receive any of them because you don't need to claim UC as i previously advised. You'll remain on ESA and just report a change of address. You'll be able to claim housing benefit for your rent because you'll be living in supported housing.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi @Murphy1926 Your question depends on whether you are moving into SUPPORTED accommodation or SHELTERED accommodation.  'Supported' is usually where the residents are provided with care, supervision or support as part of the tenancy. 'Sheltered' accommodation is where there is a warden, or perhaps a call care emergency pull cord system etc.  If it is supported accommodation you would not need to claim UC and would keep your ESA and claim Housing Benefit.  This is because supported accommodation is not within UC.  BUT if it is sheltered accommodation you would have to claim UC.  In this instance you say you are in the Support Group on ESA, so on UC you would be paid the £328.32 limited capability for work related activity element, plus a standard allowance for you (£317.82) and an amount for your rent.  These are monthly figures.  I hope this clarifies things for you.  Sarah
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Murphy1926
    Thanks you.as already someone clarified this.on the gov.uk it says u cannot get uc.if in temporary.emergency.supported or sheltered.
  • Murphy1926
    Thanks everyone.it looks like even though it's sheltered been informed by the council that they are run by housing assoc.so even tho it's says on the gov.uk site 'sheltered I would have to claim the rent through uc.so basically back to square one.i think the gov.uk site should be a bit more clearer also the council's for advertising sheltered housing and then saying it's not realy sheltered  as such.ive never been so confused in all my days.
  • Murphy1926
    Just wondered if anyone could let me know that if I was to go to uc from esa as a change of circumstances.its says that new claimant after may 2017 will not be able to claim  the lace 126 or the 328 other then 317 a month.q

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.