Claiming pip from indefinite dla — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claiming pip from indefinite dla

martincook1968
martincook1968 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I've just phoned deposit to claim pip from indefinite dla because I'm now in a wheelchair and getting worse  what should I do and what help can scope offer

Comments

• martincook1968
    Can anyone give me some help with pip claim from dla indefinite
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP and DLA are totally different. PIP is about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

When you receive those forms you'll need to fill them out with as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

You need to send evidence with the form to support your claim because they very rarely contact anyone for this. Evidence should state how your conditions affect you. Letters from a GP aren't the best evidence to send because a GP very rarely knows how you're affected against the PIP descriptors. Future appointment letters and information from the internet aren't classed as evidence.

If you need extra time to return the form you should ring DWP who will extend the time by 14 days. Providing you return the form within the time then your DLA will continue until a decision is made on the PIP.

If you're successfully awarded PIP then your DLA will end 4 weeks after a decision is made and PIP starts 3 weeks after that. There's no backdated money, even if you have a higher award for PIP than you have with DLA. If you're not successful then DLA stops 4 weeks after the decision is made.

Expect a face to face assessment because most people have them. It's rare to have a paper based decision.
    This link will help you understand the descriptors before you start filling out the forms.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    As a word of warning, many people with Indefinite awards and even with the highest category of care and mobility in DLA fail to get enough points when claiming PIP.

You should forget what you know about DLA and concentrate on the new way of assessing the impact of a disability

• martincook1968
    If I was entitled to it before for years and it was indefinite  and I'm now in a wheelchair with chronic and progressive illnesses I shouldn't be having to re- apply after 26 years of being medicaly unfit for work by the government and medical officers and pensioner off medically unfit and registered disabbled and registered severely mentally impaired, anyone with some real help the impact of being disabled to my family and to deal day to day life is within my medical problems such as being on 18 tablets a day, M.E., on stations for my heart epilepsy,  diverticulitis  liver disease, deaf in one ear, visual problems, colitis ,reflux, arthritis,spondulitis,hypertension, drop attacks, social anxiety , periferal neuropathy, feet and hands, gout disabled left hand/arm and foliculitis, if I'm not entitled to pip after all these years there is something greatly wrong, your comment wasnt helful and wasn't very positive for people with real illnessess maybe you are referring to people who are not I'll who shouldnt be trying to claim money they are not entitled to  , I had enough points in dla and the new pip self assessment to give me enhanced pip, I know just to well about being disabled for over 50 years,we seem to be on a different level, genuine people  with certain illnesses are automatically recognized, like mobility if you cannot walk and in a wheelchair are pysicaly disabled and those who are mentally impaired  also are disabled in ways that not all disability are visible,i asked for physical help from a member of scope not some educational therapy for a person I am already aware of the criteria, and just in case the government try to undermine my genuine case I need a legal representation  I case of a review if some health care assistant is incompetant  and tries to undermine  medical experts,im looking for representation on the day of pip assessment. Thank-you for your reply but it's not what im looking for I'm 100% aware of the criteria to be entitled to (pip), no need to reply thanks again. 
  • poppy123456

I was actually trying to be helpful. You'll be amazed at the amount of people that don't fully understand the criteria for PIP. People will think that they should score a certain amount of points for a descriptor when in fact it's not possible.

Having all those conditions doesn't mean you'll qualify and neither does having a lifetime award for DLA. PIP is completely different.

Unfortunately, scope don't offer help or support with a benefits application. You will find it extremely difficult to get representation for a face to face assessment. Most advice agencies don't represent for this anymore. They will only represent for a Tribunal and it's extremely difficult to find an agency that will do this. CAB certainly don't do either because they no longer have the funding for this.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Fitznspatz
    Fitznspatz Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
    I thought poppy and twonker’s replies were extremely helpful - and had paragraphs! - but if they were no use to you Martin remember that other browsers on this site could find them beneficial.

On the day of the assessment you say you want representation. Can you clarify what benefit you think this person will be to you as they will not know your medical history or, much more importantly, how your many conditions affect your ability to do daily tasks?

Surely you are your own best advocate. You can tell the assessor precisely how your conditions impact on your life. Reading this forum you sometimes get the impression that assessors are out to trick you or falsely record what you have said. My wife’s experience of a face to face assessment was completely the opposite of this. The assessor was engaging, thoughtful, respectful, attentive ... would more could you wish for? 

Your post above comes across as ‘forceful’. May I respectfully suggest on the day of the interview you adopt a more malleable tone; I think it will serve you better.
  • poppy123456
    As a community champion here on scope please be mindful of your comments. We are a friendly group that give great advice to those in need. You have been given great advice whether or not you choose to take that advice is your choice. I wish you good luck.
  • Fitznspatz
    Fitznspatz Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
    >> I didn't ask for your opinion << 
    apart from saying “can anyone give me any help’.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger

I think you talk rubbish these assessments are not done properly they tell lies and I was asking for support I've had nothing but hostile remarks I won't be doing again I'd rather not even bother, and I didn't ask for your opinion so crawl back under your  rock
    The majority of assessments are carried out professionally with most claimants receiving the correct award without incident. If your reseach has been on line then you will only have seen the problem cases. I cannot see any hostile remarks other than from yourself. You have been given the best advice available which if you choose to ignore, I will wish you luck with your claim 

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @martincook1968, unfortunately representation at PIP assessments isn't a service that Scope is able to offer. I'm sure you've already considered this, but it might be worth getting in touch with CAB about the sort of representation or assistance that might be available to you.

On a side note, we recognise that people may have differing opinions on what advice is 'right' or 'helpful' in some cases, especially when somebody else's suggestions are different to their own views. 
    However, it's important to remember that we strive for the community to be a supportive and friendly place for everybody. We kindly ask users to be mindful of others and respect each other's suggestions when receiving or offering guidance. Comments should be on the content, not the contributor.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.