How long a waiting time for decision? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long a waiting time for decision?

suziec
suziec Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Just looking for some advice, my son who has asphergers syndrome has been declared unfit for work by his GP. He currently gets high rate PIP after a medical I was made his appointee. I claimed UC for him for last year but was sent for medical (GP has provided 2 sick notes for 6 month each). I am his main carer, medical very stressful for him outwith normal routine!! And previously done for PIP. DWP for some reason although have copy of my apointeeship can’t find on records anymore?? Can anyone tell me procedure for waiting time for decision and if any and how long backdated money is for? Having spoken to DWP had conflicting advice and I’m totally lost & really worried financially as I don’t work being his main carer. Please any advice for stressed mum of 17 soon to be 18 yr old son. 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @suziec Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.  Sorry what you are going through. You have come to the right place for support and advice.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

I am unsure of an answer to your question on decisions.  I know there will be members of our team or a member of our community who will be able to answer.

One suggestion I have is to first speak to CAB they can help with benefits and have expertise and knowledge.  Benefits are complex and confusing.

Another suggestion is to speak to The National Autistic Society.  Which includes Asperger's. May offer a lot of support and help you with advice, information. 

Helpline 020 7833 2299

Monday to Thursday 10.00am to 4pm.

Friday 9am to 3pm.

Hope that helps.

Please ask if we can help further. With anything. Some one will know from our community or a member of our team.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If your son is given limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA) he will receive an extra £328 per month backdated to the 4th month of his claim from when he sent in his first sick note.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • suziec
    suziec Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you, doesn’t seem to be much info given but appreciate you answering poppy123456
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem. Waiting times for decisions depend on backlog in your area. You can request a copy of the assessment report from DWP, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with the report. Not sure what other information you would like.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.