HELP !!! ESA claim — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

HELP !!! ESA claim

steve5000
steve5000 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi There, I have just had a phone call to tell me my claim for E.S.A  has stopped due to me failinf the capability for work assessment (Medical), as apparantley I scored none of hte required 15 points!!
Can someone tell me whether all the questions i answered particularly  the mobility question, have to be answered not taking into account any medication I am taking.
I.E at the assessment I was asked about walking distances and I answered  based on the fact that I am taking daily pain relief- prescribed Oramorph and Tramadol and mefenamic acid with cocodamol/paracetomal/ibuprofen thrown in for good measure. So yes at times I am more capable of walking than others depending on pain control,
I am beginning to think i should have answered all questions based on having no pain control,would that be correct
Many thanks
Steve

Comments

• Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    No one got points out of 12000 peaple  I’ve no use in hands but got no points you’ll need to get mandatory reconsideration then tribunal 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

For the mobilising descriptor they take into consideration your ability to use a self propel wheelchair as well.

The MR is your next step and you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request this. I'd advise you to contact an advice centre near you for help and advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • steve5000
    Thanks for replies, but still not sure as to whether my answer to the mobility descriptor should have been answered as if it applies when I am not on any pain control .I.e suffering great debilitating pain. Thanks
  • poppy123456
    It doesn't matter here because they will still take into consideration your ability to self propel a wheel for the mobilising descriptor. For the Support Group it must also apply to majority of the time. It's not about scoring points. 15 points are needed for the WRAG.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • steve5000
    I was told on the phone today, that I had scored zero points and I required 15 points to continue to be paid basic ESA, let alone get involved with any support group.
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    No one got points you now have do mandatory reconsideration you get no money till or if you go to tribunal 
  • steve5000
    OK I get that bit now,,but I would still like to know,as I am sure .others are in the same boat.Presume I am just about to have my assessment, would I answer the questions based upon my abilities as they used to be I.e without taking any pain control.
    Thanks
    Steve
  • poppy123456
    You would answer the questions by telling them how your conditions affect you.

The WRAG descriptor for mobilising also takes into consideration your ability to use a self propel wheelchair.
  • poppy123456
    If you taken medication and it helps then that's how you would answer the questions. If you answered the questions if you didn't take your medication then that wouldn't be telling the truth.
  • steve5000
    I agree, but I font want to be taking pain relief for the rest of my life, I have a chronic leg wound for a year now, but when healed(hopefully) I do have a job to return to(hopefully-i have not heard different anyway). So I still don't think any mobility questions should be based on the fact you may be more mobile on  pain relief medication, because that would probably apply to a lot of people, and pain relief should not be the norm.
    Steve
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    The assessment takes into consideration how you are on that day. If you are taking pain killers then that will be how you are assessed. Unfortunately pain relief is the norm for many people and they still cannot walk or self propel a wheel chair
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve5000
    I certainly appreciate your comments,I just needed some clarity
    Thanks

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.